Way OT - Bandmate with serious mental health problems, what should I do?

Kid_A

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's some advice for when things cool down. I have mental problems that sound similar to those of your bandmate, and I've been trying many things in the past year that seem to be working. Here's what I've tried: moving out of my parents' house, high quality multivitamins, vitamin B complex, fish oil, green tea, meditation, yoga, new friends (easier said than done), and last but not least, psilocybin mushrooms. All of these things seem to have helped. I think the reason that mushrooms were so helpful is that they made me question a lot of my assumptions that were still very strong after a year in talk therapy. Mushrooms actually scare me less than pot, which has made me doubt my sanity several times.

I'd like to especially point out how wonderful meditation is. It is a very powerful tool for mental transformation. I learned more from meditation than I did from talk therapy. It can introduce a sad sack like me to states of joy that were previously unknown. It even helped me gain a personal understanding of the meaning of life. It also helps tremendously with anxiety and ADD. It is a very effective tool which can enable you to detect bad moods coming on, and keep yourself from slipping into those moods. It really helps in gaining distance from those horrible emotions. It can also help you accept the emotions, stop fighting them, and wait for them to pass. This attitude makes my black moods pass much quicker, and they are much easier to bear. You'll still have black moods, but you'll be much better off overall. One last thing: you need to meditate daily in order to get the benefits. I would recommend at least 20-30 minutes per day, but more is better.

I tried taking an antidepressant but it did not work for me, it turned me into an unfeeling zombie and I lost several months of my life that way. When I went off the meds with my doctor's help, I had a week of dizziness but then it was like coming out of a coma. However, I realize that those pills have very different effects on different people.

I just wanted to give you a grab bag of things that I've found helpful. I've never attempted suicide. Whenever I've gotten close, I've managed to pull myself back from the edge. So I don't know what it's like to be as far in as your friend is. But there are a lot more options than shrinks and big pharma.

• Members

Seriously..... not cool at all man.

Recommending mushrooms? It's great that you've had success with it and all, but given the vast breadth of mental health considerations, taking such things if you have some kind of mental health concern could have horrible, horrible consequences and really shouldn't be recommended.

I'm with you on staying off the weed, it seems a common trigger. A lot of your other advice seemed pretty sound, generally staying healthy's good advice for anyone. But I wouldn't even recommend mushrooms to people with mild anxiety. Even if the drug can seem predictable, people's responses aren't.

• Members

Sounds to me that when he took the overdose and woke up and told you about it it was more of a cry for help type thing. If someone really wants to commit suicide they usually take precautions to ensure that they are not found by anyone.

If he is going to band practice than that's a good thing. It shows that he's not so depressed that he has lost interest in things he enjoys doing. I'd talk to his parents and tell them that you're worried about him. If he's over 18 and doesn't want help then there's nothing much you can do about it to be honest. You just have to try and encourage him to get the help he needs.

• Members
Same experience here...what a trip.

personally, i enjoyed it. other than the fact there were a couple of dudes in there who were CRIMINALLY INSANE who were on their way to the state mental hospital. i had to keep an eye on them....

other than that....chilling all day, getting box lunches and juceboxes, having therapy in the afternoon by coloring and drawing with crayons and magic markers.

it was pretty much like being back in preschool. but with the door locked :eek:

Archived