Any melodica users?

u6crash

• Members

I have a 32 key Hohner melodica in which the low F# doesn't work. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, air just goes through and no not is produced. I've opened it up and I don't see anything obvious except that there is a little bit of blue marker on the corresponding reed. There is another such mark on one of the other reeds, but it works fine. It's been this way since I've had it.

Any help would be great, thanks!

• Members

i had the same problem of a number of keys on mine. i fixed it, but i dont totally remember exactly how.

i do know that it had something to do with impressions that were in the top metal piece, they were restricting certain keys or something. i know it was just mechanical.

try taking out the screws, and just LIGHTLY place the metal top piece on it and try blowing. see what works and what doesnt. sorry i cant remember better.

• Members

I haven't tried the mylodica. Seems expensive for what it is. About $300 if I remember correctly.

I don't have any advice for fixing your melodica, but I think it's cool that there is a thread about melodicas here.

They're fun!

• Members

Well, I've monkeyed around with it a little more. I've found now that if I blow a whole ton of air when I hold down the offending key that it will sound. I can't really blow air into it and watch what happens because the air isn't routed to the reeds if the cover is off.

Once upon a time I came across a website that had information on tuning them with files, but now all my internet searches come up empty.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived