OT: The Duran Duran "Rio" Appreciation Thread

• Members

They do have some cool tunes.

A couple of years ago a friend of my wife finally reached her biggest goal in life

She {censored}ed Simon

:facepalm:

• Members

I'm actually old enough to have covered their stuff at gigs when it was new.

The guitar work is pretty meh, but John Taylor's bass playing more than made up for it. That dude can flat out play - really funky and killer technique.

I saw them on the Seven tour and it was insane - the most chicks per square foot than I have ever seen. Could barely hear the band above the screaming.

I also saw Power Station live - I liked them a lot more than DD.

All in all, they were a fun band to cover - always had people dancing and the chicks loved it.

Total side note - in the mid '90s I was managing a hardware store in Telluride, CO. One day I see this really tiny dude with bleach blond hair comes through the door with a few other people in tow. I don't really pay much attention because I was helping a few other people, but he comes walking up to the counter with a blender under his arm. It was Nick Rhodes. He had his dad with him and I struck up a conversation with his dad about tools and stuff while Nick was buying the blender (for margaritas in the room). I hear this other accented voice say 'can we go then?' and it was Simon LeBon.

• Members

Rio is definitely in my list of favorite albums.

I'll never forget listening to the opening track on a Sony Walkman for the first time - It's possible that I'd never heard a wide stereo separation before - it was like brain candy.

Later my parent's observed me taping Rio off of a radio show, and asked me what the lyrics meant. I honestly said "I don't know"!

• Members

I'm actually old enough to have covered their stuff at gigs when it was new.

The guitar work is pretty meh, but John Taylor's bass playing more than made up for it. That dude can flat out play - really funky and killer technique.

I saw them on the Seven tour and it was insane - the most chicks per square foot than I have ever seen. Could barely hear the band above the screaming.

I also saw Power Station live - I liked them a lot more than DD.

All in all, they were a fun band to cover - always had people dancing and the chicks loved it.

Total side note - in the mid '90s I was managing a hardware store in Telluride, CO. One day I see this really tiny dude with bleach blond hair comes through the door with a few other people in tow. I don't really pay much attention because I was helping a few other people, but he comes walking up to the counter with a blender under his arm. It was Nick Rhodes. He had his dad with him and I struck up a conversation with his dad about tools and stuff while Nick was buying the blender (for margaritas in the room). I hear this other accented voice say 'can we go then?' and it was Simon LeBon.

oh my {censored}ing god

• Members

Simon and Nick both seem like they would be fun people to know and hang out with. They've always had a great sense of humor about themselves.

I saw them on the Medazzaland tour at The House of Blues in Orlando, and it was a fantastic show. Warren was playing the guitar, but I don't remember who the rhythm section was that night. I remember thinking that the album wasn't too bad either. I might pick that album up on vinyl if I can find it.

• Members

I'll never forget listening to the opening track on a Sony Walkman for the first time - It's possible that I'd never heard a wide stereo separation before - it was like brain candy.

Ditto!

There were 3 albums I had playing steadily on my walkman at that time: Rio, Hall & Oates' H2O, and Men at Work's Business As Usual.

Archived