Opinions on Multi-Effects Processors.

CIS689

• Members

I need to turn ONE effect on or off at a time, while leaving others running (or not). I also need something that doesn't tone suck (effect your tone when off).

The GT-10 can run in manual mode with each pedal assigned to an individual effect and the bypass is a as good as the buffered bypass of all Boss effects, very good in my opinion, not a tone sucker at all as long as you select the correct input/output setup and set the unit for unity gain. The GT-10 isn't a perfect unit, but perhaps you haven't spent enough time with it to make an honest assessment...

• Members

As you have 2 FX blocks within a chain you can stack multiple flavors of modulation if so desired (like trem and phasor).

2) Programmable loop allows you to use a four cable method to place some effects before (wah, eq, etc) and other after (verb, delay, pitch shift, etc) your amp's pre.

3) Every switch is assignable and you can assign multiple controls to a singal switch.

4) Control switches have multiple modes (momentary or on/off).

5) As it has MIDI in/out, you could program it to control the channel switching on your Triaxis.

6) The amp modeling is very good, you just have to spend some time dialing it in. Here's a clip from the FrugalGuitarist.com review and I don't think it sounds like a cocked wah at all:

This clip was recorded in real time using the looper, slicer, delay, and a dual signal path:

Full review can be read here:

Well said...the only contention I have is with point 6...I found the clean and slightly broken up amp sims great (e.g., Fender, Vox, older Marshalls)...I couldn't stand the higher gain sims...I could dial out the cocked wah sound a bit, but not enough.

• Members

Well said...the only contention I have is with point 6...I found the clean and slightly broken up amp sims great (e.g., Fender, Vox, older Marshalls)...I couldn't stand the higher gain sims...I could dial out the cocked wah sound a bit, but not enough.

Some of the amp sims are better than others. The key to high gain without the cocked wah is using a dual mono signal chain and combining two different preamps which have the characteristics you're looking for and combining.

Personally, I believe every multieffects processor to be flawed in some way as they all tend to over reach and typically include several effects/features which aren't up to par with the rest of the unit. However, every company seems to find specific effects/virtual signal chains which they excel at. Our challenge is to figure out which ones suit our personal taste...

• Members

So, it looks like there is really not one that sticks out in this group nor one that is at the bottom. Sounds like I should be good with whatever I decide to buy.

My gut instinct tells me to go with the Boss GT-10. But. One VERY important thing I need. Is that when I run this through my amp, with NO effects on. I want it to sound like it is not even there. (So, it must NOT affect my original tone)

• Members

So, it looks like there is really not one that sticks out in this group nor one that is at the bottom. Sounds like I should be good with whatever I decide to buy.

My gut instinct tells me to go with the Boss GT-10. But. One VERY important thing I need. Is that when I run this through my amp, with NO effects on. I want it to sound like it is not even there. (So, it must NOT affect my original tone)

In my experience, the current generation of buffered bypass digital effects are all pretty good, and if you run the unit in your amp's effects loop then it's a none issue anyway.

The Digitech RP500/1000 and Line 6 M13 offer true bypass and model specific vintage and modern effects/stomps including the exact controls of those effects.

The GT-10 you program to bypass and it's buffered so you have to take care to set the unit for unity gain. When you do so, it's very transparent. Boss does model some specific vintage/modern effects/stomps however rather than focus on providing the controls of the original effect, general controls are provided which typically provide far more control than included in the original effect.

Honestly, all the top of the line units sound good in my opinion, just different. The question is more what featureset you need. For ease of programmability, Digitech is king followed by Line 6 with Boss being the most complex. However, all the complexity of the GT-10 makes it an extremely flexible and versatile unit.

• Members

I like deep edit ability for sure. I am a tweaker by nature.

In my experience, the current generation of buffered bypass digital effects are all pretty good, and if you run the unit in your amp's effects loop then it's a none issue anyway.

The Digitech RP500/1000 and Line 6 M13 offer true bypass and model specific vintage and modern effects/stomps including the exact controls of those effects.

The GT-10 you program to bypass and it's buffered so you have to take care to set the unit for unity gain. When you do so, it's very transparent. Boss does model some specific vintage/modern effects/stomps however rather than focus on providing the controls of the original effect, general controls are provided which typically provide far more control than included in the original effect.

Honestly, all the top of the line units sound good in my opinion, just different. The question is more what featureset you need. For ease of programmability, Digitech is king followed by Line 6 with Boss being the most complex. However, all the complexity of the GT-10 makes it an extremely flexible and versatile unit.

• Members

I love my
Line6 M13
. It does what I want, and more importantly, the way I want it to! Unlike the Boss GT10.

If you like the M13, you will love the Nova system. I haven't spent enough time with mine yet, but in the very short time I have, it is clearly better sounding than the M13.

• Members

I have a Tonelab and an X-13. The Tonelab is an outstanding amp modeler and its effects are very good. Just as an effects processor, it sucks pretty hard though. You're very limited on what can be combined with what, and you're stuck with having to use presets.

The M-13, while it probably doesn't sound as good as the Tonelab, is all over it in terms of flexibility, especially for live use. It's like having pedalboards with 12 pedals each. Once you set up which pedal is where, it's very close to having actual stomp boxes. The knobs work in real time, and come back to wherever you left them, rather than wherever you last saved some kind of patch. Most of the sounds are very good, but there are a few the Tonelab does better. For convenience and layout, the M-13 is the best I've seen.

The Boss ME-70 seems like it's going for a similar approach. I haven't used on, but if I were looking for an effects processor, the ME-70 and the M-13 would be the two I'd be looking at.

• Members

I am almost certain it can be set either serial and/or parallel. I can also adjust the MIX.

Does that H&K Triamp have a parallel effects loop? It might not like a digital processor. My friend has a Duotone and I think his GMajor messes with his tone. Sounds best to me without the processor.

• Members

Not that this is a deal breaker (I don't think) but you can only run one modulation at a time with the Nova System. Or at least that is what I read.

I've never been really fond of modulation anyway, oddly enough. One at a time wouldn't be an issue.

Archived