Please help the effects NooB...

• Members

Hey guys, Hope you can steer me in the right direction and I'm sure the same crap is asked everyday, but bare with me.

Here's what I currently have.

Fulltone OCD which I use most of the time on my Peavey Classic 30 or 50.

I also use a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone for the 80's stuff.

I'm getting a Boss TU-2 tuner and want to eventually get a good Delay, Wah, chorus, and possibly a Noise Gate (have trouble with Hum and feedback sometimes)

I also need a pedal board. and whatever it takes to power these things (can you do something besides batteries on a board)

I want your recommendations on this stuff and also need to know how to chain them and what kind of cables, etc. to buy.

Thanks so much

• Members

If you're not looking to spend a ton, check these out:

Korg Pitchblack (I had a TU-2 forever, like the display on this one better)

Boss DD-7 (The best value in compact digital delays IMO -- great tone, great features.)

Gator Powered Pedal Tote (The first board I ever had. Comes with a decent power supply & great customer service ... and for barely more than $100.)

Hosa patch cables should do fine. Here's a 6-pack for $10.25.

• Members

George L's are good (I use them), and you can buy them on his site or at places like Tonefactor... but they're a bit pricey. If you're not looking to spend a ton on cables, those Hosa's I linked will probably work for you until you're a bit more established and can spend more on patch cables.

And the argument on TU-2 vs. Pitchblack will go round and round. Some people swear that the Boss "sucks tone" ... other say the same thing about the Pitchblack. Long story short, it's really up to you. I like the presentation on the Pitchblack better and IIRC, it's $10 cheaper. :idk:

• Members

Looks like you are already on your way. You can probably have a lot of fun with the OCD into a Classic 30... A lot of the effects you buy will depend on what type of sound you are going for. But here's just a little advice.

If you are just starting out, the Boss delays are a great place to begin. The DD3, is pretty straightforward; the DD6 has more options and can be run in stereo; and the DD7 has built in Modulation. The EHX Stereo Memory Man is my favorite moderately priced delay.

Fulltone makes a pretty awesome wah called the Clyde Deluxe - expensive, but awesome. But for starters, the basic Cry Baby's do just fine. The signature models are not worth their price for the features, so stick with the standard, or go for a Fulltone or a Teese wah.

Most guys around here use the 1Spot to power their pedals. I have a Gator Pedal Tote that has 2 GBus8 Power Supplies underneath, but I run batteries through my Fuzz and OD pedals. Voodoo Power Supplies also work really well.

The PedalTrain Jr is probably the pedalboard you are looking for, but also consider building one yourself.

• Members

Thanks, the only pedals I've bought are the MT-2 and the OCD, I have to get everything else.

Where do you buy the George L's?

Is the Korg as fast as the Boss tuner?

Al's Music Source has the best deals on George L's that I have found. I have ordered from there three or four times, and they always throw something in for free as a bonus. Here's a link..

George L's

• Members

the Pitchblack is clearly superior to the TU2. But it's not good enough to warrant selling your TU2 for a PB. But if you are just starting out, go with the Pitchblack.... more accurate, true bypass, and cheaper... what's not to love ;)

• Members

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the help.

I have to get the tuner this week, can't find my cheap one, so need one ASAP.

How should I chain the pedals I have. The tuner, OCD, and MT-2.

Can I run the OCD and MT-2 in a chain. I only use the MT-2 for 2 or 3 songs, but I like it for what I use it for.

• Members

For delay, I'd recommend a DD-3 assuming you don't need really long delay times. If you want an analog delay, check out the MXR carbon copy. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can mod the DD-3 sound almost like an analog delay.

For wah, I'd recommend a clyde deluxe. It's kinda pricey though. And it doesn't really sound amazing on a clean channel IMO, it shines with used in front of a dirt pedal or dirty amp. If you're on a budget, the crybaby isn't too bad, and it's a great modding platform.

Chorus, I haven't had too much experiece in this area, but I have a CE-3 that isn't bad, although it has been modded at lot. I want a CE-2 for the warmer tones, but its an expensive vintage unit now. I've heard good things about the visual sound chorus, but haven't tried it.

For power, I'd look at a voodoo lab pedal power 2+ or a t.rex fuel tank junior for a smaller rig. If you want to go on the cheap side of power, you could use a one-spot or godlyke power all, but those are noisy depending on the rig and not the safest thing to use for you're pedals.

Pedalboard, I'm most people here will agree pedaltrains are the way to go.

Good luck on the pedal search :thu:

Archived