All these "Marshall in a box" threads-

bondini

• Members

Doesn't anyone crank their amp up anymore?

I'm not messing, I want to know... If I turn my single channel non master volume tube amp to 10 it sounds ace. Sounds like a BoR/OCD etc etc only better.

Is the massive interest in these pedals so people can achieve this sound at low volume at home? Or is that folk prefer a super-clean amp with tons of headroom?

Serious question, I'm curious not trolling

• Members

I'm not messing, I want to know... If I turn my single channel non master volume tube amp to 10 it sounds ace. Sounds like a BoR/OCD etc etc only better.

Is the massive interest in these pedals so people can achieve this sound at low volume at home? Or is that folk prefer a super-clean amp with tons of headroom?

I run single channel amps, both cranked, in my band.

At my house, I prefer a little bit less volume.

• Members

Have you ever tried cranking a Twin up to those levels?

It's not very pleasant if you have to be in the same room and still want to have hearing afterwards.

and ultimately, it'd not sound like a marshall anyways. just like a mesa or vox usually wont either.

• Members

For me, it's not about people not cranking their amps. It's about people being lazy and not using the search function to see the previous 1,465,923 threads about "_____________ in a box"

• Members

I don't play loud enough to crank my 15 watt amp to distortion even when I play out.

Keep your stage volume low, and the sound man will love you, and the audience will also have a better experience, even if the feel isn't quite a 'magical' for the player.

• Members

I don't play loud enough to crank my 15 watt amp to distortion even when I play out.

Keep your stage volume low, and the sound man will love you, and the audience will also have a better experience, even if the feel isn't quite a 'magical' for the player.

This. Crank in the studio, tone REALLY matters there, live, you have some breathing room. I am a live sound engineer, and i've never heard a band's overall sound suffer because the guitar player couldn't crank his amp.

• Members

This. Crank in the studio, tone REALLY matters there, live, you have some breathing room. I am a live sound engineer, and i've never heard a band's overall sound suffer because the guitar player couldn't crank his amp.

+1

• Members

I have been using my Bassman 50 silverface with the jumper going into the two inputs and cranking it. My entire block and I are in tonal heaven.

Playing live, I go midway for light dirt on a Classic 30, have the drive turned up for more umph with a switch (yay two channel amps) and use my Bassman 50 for my cleans. It's really nice to only have the tonal palette like that, and work a volume knob rather than little foot pedal knobs. I still use a fuzz and a TS for boosts, as well as a delay, but for the most part, I'm using amp dirt for my base tones.

Archived