Verbzilla vs. Spring Chicken

• Members

I had and loved a verbzilla for a long time. Great hall and room sounds. Spring wasn't bad, but it wasn't good enough for me to really use it.

I went to the tech21 Boost RVB which i really loved for room type sounds. Much better than the verbzilla IMO and no more expensive.

I now have the Spring Chicken which sounds AMAZING :love::love: Doesn't do anything but bitchin spring verb if that concerns you.

• Members

I say the SC is better than the verbzilla for spring, but BTBAM is right, the verbzilla is way more tweakable. I like simplicity so i really like having a great sounding one knob verb. If you can, try the verbzilla, then watch the PGS vid for the spring chicken.

• Members

apples and oranges... one has bells and whistles, one is a one-trick pony. can't compare them.

Sorry, I took your comment as, "no comparison, it's the SC"

and I thought how very HCFX of you.

I see you meant that you cannot compare the two.

However....63' Spring setting is pretty bad ASS.

• Members

Sorry, I took your comment as, "no comparison, it's the SC"

and I thought how very HCFX of you.

I see you meant that you cannot compare the two.

However....63' Spring setting is pretty bad ASS.

;):wave: i love you :love:

what's the setting on the verb that's all U2 ambient mumbo jumbo?

• Members

Octo +10 other settings > 1 decent Spring setting

if the line 6 had an exp. out this debate would be over.

but Line6 pedals are ugly:mad:

just ordered my Spring Chicken yesterday. we'll see if it kicks my Boost RVB off board.

• Members

I'll do a comparison between the the Verbzilla, Spring Chicken, and RV-3. I only use one setting on my RV-3, and with the Verbzilla I used two. So the Spring Chicken only having one sound doesn't bother me at all. Maybe something like an internal decay knob would be nice. Everything else looks great.

• Members

I'll do a comparison between the the Verbzilla, Spring Chicken, and RV-3. I only use one setting on my RV-3, and with the Verbzilla I used two. So the Spring Chicken only having one sound doesn't bother me at all. Maybe something like an internal decay knob would be nice. Everything else looks great.

Looking forward to your review! :thu:

• Members

Okay, I got my Spring Chicken and it's pretty great. I like it a lot. The sound of it is just great. Not digital or harsh. It's very wet and dark, but not muddy at all. I really like it when you crank it more than anything. I think at 3 o'clock it's got its own thing going on. There are some noise issues for me after about 11 o'clock, but it's more of hiss than noise. This might be a turn off for some.

In comparison to my RV-3... well it's actually pretty different. The RV3 at low mix is much more subtle than the SC. It doesn't have that lush sound that the SC has. However, if you crank the decay on the RV3 with the mix low... it does this ambient vibe that the SC can't do. When you crank the SC you hear the guitar (just sounds like it's far away). when you do the same with the RV3 it completely washes over the guitar and all hear are the notes. Kind of like a pad sound with quick attack.

I went back and forth on my favorite settings and while I think the SC sounds great, I need the versatility of my RV3. So to sum it up, if you need a versatile sound with different capabilities, the RV2 or Verbzilla will do the trick. If you want your fender amp spring reverb in a pedal form, than the SC is that with a twist. Hope this helps you guys that are looking for reverbs.

Note: I used a Heritage H535 (ES335 copy) with a Goodsell Super 17 into a Avatar 1x12 loaded with a Hellatone 30 speaker. I also used the SC alone and a PP2+ to power it up.

• Members

I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but I figured it would be better here than to start a new thread.

I'm gonna order either the tech 21 boost rvb or the spring chicken by the end of the night I'm sure. What do you guys recommend. I'm playing in a jazzy funky band with my tiny terror and 1x12 cab and I just need light reverb to leave on all the time.

Both seem sweet, but I'm wondering if I need all the options on the boost rvb. I'd like to keep it simple and the spring chicken just looks {censored}ing cool, but I don't wanna miss out on options I could have used, due to wanting my new small board to look nice.

• Members

I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but I figured it would be better here than to start a new thread.

I'm gonna order either the tech 21 boost rvb or the spring chicken by the end of the night I'm sure. What do you guys recommend. I'm playing in a jazzy funky band with my tiny terror and 1x12 cab and I just need light reverb to leave on all the time.

Both seem sweet, but I'm wondering if I need all the options on the boost rvb. I'd like to keep it simple and the spring chicken just looks {censored}ing cool, but I don't wanna miss out on options I could have used, due to wanting my new small board to look nice.

It sounds to me like you would be best off with the spring chicken. I've owned both, i think the SC excels more at natural subtle verb while the RVB is great for more ambient verb.

Archived