Wondering if there are any painters here?

companyman

• Members

I like them...working on both tiny and large scale is a great feeling, a macro/micro reaction to life experience. I see some Phillip Guston in the top painting with the 9's...he was one of my favorites, especially his late work. Good stuff mang, good luck with the show!

anything you don't like about them? any criticism for me?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
anything you don't like about them? any criticism for me?

ummm...well, they seem a bit dated, in that the technique seems stuck in the late 1950's-1960's. They seem to be nostalgic for the golden age of male dominated gestural abstraction...deKooning, Guston, Rauschenberg and the NY scene in general of that time period. It is important to work through your influences and glean from them what attracted you to their work, and apply it to your own oeuvre. My biggest suggestion is look at many painters from many time periods, broaden your scope of influences. :thu:

• Members
ummm...well, they seem a bit dated, in that the technique seems stuck in the late 1950's-1960's. They seem to be nostalgic for the golden age of male dominated gestural abstraction...deKooning, Guston, Rauschenberg and the NY scene in general of that time period. It is important to work through your influences and glean from them what attracted you to their work, and apply it to your own oeuvre. My biggest suggestion is look at many painters from many time periods, broaden your scope of influences.
:thu:

I do mainly look at the abstract expressionists of the 40's-50's.

I really don't get enough criticism around here, people either really like it or ignore it altogether cause it's not "pretty".

BTW, i just noticed that you're from Colorado. One of the juried shows im submitting to next month is in Denver.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't recognize the master study....is it Basquiat?

that last one is really fully realized....I'm impressed.

Its a Basquiat. "Brown Spots (Portrait of Andy Warhol as a banana)"

The assignment was to pick a master painter, do a master study. Then do your own take on that master study, then do a third painting that extends into your own style.

Since the master copy was Basquiat's homage to a friend, I did an homage to a friend of mine in a similar palette. Then the third was just a collage style painting I did, started as a self-portrait, but became its own thing. My critique is tomorrow night.

• Members

Its a Basquiat. "Brown Spots (Portrait of Andy Warhol as a banana)"

The assignment was to pick a master painter, do a master study. Then do your own take on that master study, then do a third painting that extends into your own style.

Since the master copy was Basquiat's homage to a friend, I did an homage to a friend of mine in a similar palette. Then the third was just a collage style painting I did, started as a self-portrait, but became its own thing. My critique is tomorrow night.

solid stuff, you're on the right track man!

Archived