Dunlop reissue dynacomp vs. super compressor

• Members

So the Dunlop Super Compressor is allegedly just a Dynacomp with an attack control.

If this is true, how much difference does this make in sound and performance?

I was going to buy a Dunlop SC, but found a used Dunlop DC for thirty dollars

and I wonder if I should just get the DC and be done with it, or hold out for the SC.

I appreciate feedbackinput from anyone familiar with these little buggers.

Thanks!

• Members

There's only one reason you'd post that: to be unkind and appear clever at someone else's expense. Is that really the kind of person you want to be?

Anyway, all sincere and helpful replies appreciated.

Forum posting fail :(

Honestly go for the DC for $30 bucks and call it good.

• Members

The only difference between those pedals is that the dynacomp has a resistor for a fixed attack and the supercomp a pot. I have both. The dynacomp is easier to handle (because the attack is fixed). But the supercomp has more optins. Some people say that the attack time of the dynacomp is to long.

Conclusion: Both are very good compressors! The Dynacomp has the typical Dynacomp sound and the Supercomp is an allround Compressor with Dynacomp options.

• Members

I own a SuperComp. Probably not the best compressor out there, but it has always done everything I wanted it to :idk:. The bypass is kinda crappy if you don't have a good buffer before it.

I've heard that the DynaComp has a more 'classic' comp sound (logical, since it is a classic), but SuperComp is more versital (ie: can be dialed to work with humbuckers).

If I were shopping for a comp today, I'd probably get a BYOC optical comp or a Barber Tone Press. But I'm not, because I like my SuperComp just fine.

• Members

The dynacomp is easier to handle (because the attack is fixed).

Chris, would you mind elaboratingclarifying that? I'm not precisely sure what you mean.

Would you say the Super Comp doesn't really sound all that different than the Dynacomp?

• Members

Chris, would you mind elaboratingclarifying that? I'm not precisely sure what you mean.

Would you say the Super Comp doesn't really sound all that different than the Dynacomp?

Well, when the attack is really compressed very much affects your tonal character. Turning up the attack knob allows more dynamic range on the when you first pick the note.

With a DynaComp, you will especially notice that you attack is squished with humbuckers. With a SuperComp, you can dial these dynamics in and out as you wish, though there is a little distortion if both the comp and attack levels are set fairly high.

Also, the SuperComp sounds quite similar to the Dyna, but most would say they don't sound the exactly same. Theoretically, you should be able just to set the attack in a certain spot and have Dyna, but I don't really know about that.

Archived