English Muff'n???

• Members

Anyone here tried one? I've heard some demos and really like the ball-crushing sounds you can get with it. Looking for a high gainish, old school od/dist. Anything I should know about this thing before I pull the trigger? Perhaps other suggestions?

• Members

I've got a tele and two humbucking guitars so it should like those, and my classic 30 doesn't run squeaky clean either. I tried a Catalinbread SCOD and didn't really like the darkness of the pedal... needs a tone control. The Muff'n just sounds so chunky that I don't think I can afford not to give it a whirl. I wonder what Fender&ehx4ever's verdict is on this?

• Members

I use humbuckers and P90s with it, both love it. Be sure to experiment with different types of tubes too, I like two 12ay7s the best. I think with two 12ax7s it gets too fizzy , and one 12ay7 cascading into a 12ax7 sounds better than the two 12ax7s but lacks the clarity of the 12ay7s. And as for Fender&EHX4ever, this is one of the few EHX pedals he doesn't have :eek:

• Members
I use humbuckers and P90s with it, both love it. Be sure to experiment with different types of tubes too, I like two 12ay7s the best. I think with two 12ax7s it gets too fizzy , and one 12ay7 cascading into a 12ax7 sounds better than the two 12ax7s but lacks the clarity of the 12ay7s. And as for Fender&EHX4ever, this is one of the few EHX pedals he doesn't have
:eek:

What!? He doesn't!? Now I feel special!

As for the tubes, what you said matches up with what I've been reading. The 12ay7's seem like the way to go. Some guy recommended a Tung Sol (I think) in the first slot... but I'm not one to really mess around too much. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Thanks for all your help man. Come Monday, Ima gunna ring me up one of these!

• Members

They just seem too awesome not to have one. It was one of those things that I was like yeah, it's cool. I should get one someday... And now I'm thinking... WTF! Why don't I have one of these things yet! I need to rawk and make some ears bleed!!! (I think this thing surpasses the DLS... BLASPHEMY, right? Although it is a different Marshall sound. Better in my eyes.)

• Members

I like mine. As others have said, a great "marshall in a box". Tone controls are bery effective. The ps is a 12v EHX design and is prone to falling out if you don't secure it. It's not that big of a deal. It's a keeper for me.

• Members

I love mine. Defiantly sleeper pedal. Its not some voltage diode and op-amp assisted tube-fraud either. I use mine with my Princeton and Gibson SG P90. I would actually argue that sounds more like an Old Vox through my setup. The P90's just roar with this pedal. Nice meaty and gritty yet smooth at same time. Just make sure you put a 12ax7 in 2nd slot.

• Members

I've got a tele and two humbucking guitars so it should like those, and my classic 30 doesn't run squeaky clean either. I tried a Catalinbread SCOD and didn't really like the darkness of the pedal... needs a tone control. The Muff'n just sounds so chunky that I don't think I can afford not to give it a whirl. I wonder what Fender&ehx4ever's verdict is on this?

He doesn't own one he's got hot tubes pedal. Not sure hows its going sound on classic 30.

• Members

Had one and I couldn't quite get along with it. There was too much natural compression for me, for one. I enjoyed using a 12ax7 and a 12ay7 in it. I also found that I couldn't have the highs set anywhere above noon on the thing, if even past 11. That's just my experience though.

Archived