Suggest an envelope filter

• Members

I currently have a DOD Fx25 envelope filter and it has a severe volume drop issue. The sound is good, but I cannot even use it because of the level.

Can someone suggest a better envelope filter out there. I do not even mind building one from a kit. I know BYOC makes one, but it is a copy of the DOD 440. how much different is the 440 from the FX 25 that I have?

I want to make sure that it will keep a fairly uniform volume to the input signal, or that it may even have a level adjustment/booster as part of the pedal.

• Members

Of course EHX4ever would beat me to praise the Q-Tron+... :)

Anyway, that thing kicks ass. I need to get mine repaired now, but when it's working, it's invaluable. Plus, it's got an effects loop. Try not to have fun with it. No, go ahead

The Maxon AF-9 has a ridiculously liquid sound, and responds well to dynamics. Not too sensitive, not too stiff.

• Members

it's the original Q-Tron Version 1 i suppose

dont get me wrong

the filters are smooth and musical

it's just that setting the input, peak etc

doesn't respond like one would expect or like other Env Filters

kinda of hard to explain

quirky and unpredictable i guess.

and hard to get the same thing twice.

it's hard to dial in simple stuff

it always sounds cool

but not always exactly what i want

and i know analog filters very well

• Members

This is the next envelope filter I want
:love:

ehxbifilter.jpg

I have one of those Bi-Filters

got it used for the price of a new Q-Tron +

the Bi-Filter was discontinued too soon, you don't see these things for sale too often, I like the slow filter on that thing, you can get like a sweep down that lasts for 30 seconds and than sweeps up again.

• Members

I have one of those Bi-Filters

got it used for the price of a new Q-Tron +

the Bi-Filter was discontinued too soon, you don't see these things for sale too often, I like the slow filter on that thing, you can get like a sweep down that lasts for 30 seconds and than sweeps up again.

I am full of envy.

I've come very close to purchasing one on a few occasions, but this year may be the year I indulge.

• Members

allright, I don't understand the love for the EMMA Discombobulator, I thought it was pretty weak and sterile

I also wasn't impressed by the Moogerfooger filter or the Xotic Robotalk

now these get lots of acclaim, but for me, these pedals were a bit of a dissapointment

I still have a Lovetone Meatball, and to be honest, it didin't impress me that much either, it is OK for deep filtered sounds and autowah, and with a Tonebender in the loop it can produce some lovely 70's cheesy sounds, but overall, not impressed

I had a Ibanez AF-9 for a while, it was a nice compact envelope filter, user friendly and versatile, not too extreme, so I eventually gor rid of it

always wanted a Mutron III, but never found one, so I settled for a Q-Tron instead, Mike Beigel who designed the Mutron was also involved in the development of the Q-tron and I consider the Q-Tron a Mutron for the masses. It really nails that chewy Mutron sound, and I love the gnarly and squelchy character of the Q-Tron

Also, Beigel developed a rackmount filter prototype for Musitronics, and I believe this unit was marketed by EHX as the Bi-Filter, which I also got, it is the most powerful filter I have, but you really need to sit down and take some time to dial in the apporpriate settings, but it can do about anything you'd expect from a filter

I also used to have a Line6 FM-4, hmmm, what can I say, it had a couple of useful filter settings, and a lot of crappy sounding ones, overall not a bad pedal, 4 presets, I preferred the Slow Filter, Obi-Wah, Filter Swell and Seeker model ...

also still have a Bassballs, more a dynamic filter with distortion mode, nice one

and a ZVex Ooh-Wah, quite unique splaterry and bubbly filtered sounds

• Members

I think there are a few besides ^ that you can plug an expression pedal into. Meatball and it's clones can do that. Although, fiddling around with one, it really has a steep learning curve and you gotta really know what each switch does (base frequencies, cut filters etc).

Archived