v.1 vs v.2 Tremolessence?

Musickbox

• Members

I just got an Dr.Scientist RRR and I have been totally gassing for a Tremolessence ever since. There are two versions out now, which most dealers have only v.1. I like the fact that version one doesn't have a volume and treble knob, but stuff like a better buffer and slower rate (which I really don't use super slow speeds as much as higher speeds). I highlighted what I has me on the fence between v.1 and v.2. I know either way I'll be getting a great pedal, but if v.2 is the better pedal and the same price I would rather get that.

the new Tremolessence now has:

-the same kind of input as the Reverberator and SDD,

- a simple opamp buffer that leaves the dry signal alone as much as possible

- moved the volume control to the top panel

- it goes from 50% quieter to 50% louder

- a third speed option, very slow, which sounds cool with triangle waves for volume swells

- added an active treble control so the user can have their tone as warm or bright as they want

Here's a couple of pics of v.1 and v.2:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drscientist/2267976938/in/set-72157594164205638/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drscientist/3461285729/in/set-72157594164205638/

What would you do?

• Members

I have the V1, just got it recently in fact. Didn't know they had a V2 til recently. I would probably go with the new version, just because that's what I do, but the new one doesn't offer a lot I really need to have. For me, the volume was perfect from the factory, even though there is a trim pot inside. I think it is a good idea they include on the outside, but again it is one of those things you won't/don't need to fuss with much. The treble is interesting, and I suppose if you want to mess with that, it could be useful. I would like this feature more on a delay than temolo though. I love the sound of it as is, so not so important.

The other features, again, don't know how necessary they are. This tremolo with the speed switch gives an incredible amount of slow and fast speeds, I can't imagine needing more than this in either direction. Although sometimes I find the sweet spot is near the middle where the switch engages from slow to fast. So if I have it on slow, I tend to turn it up pretty high, which is at the the beginning of the fast speed.

Overall, it is a great pedal, and I think either version would make you happy. I also love how all of the connections are on the back, makes it pedalboard friendly.

• Members

Yea, I am really not a fan of the volume knob on the outside. One more thing to make sure it's at the right level. I used to hate that about the RR, but then I realize it's an essential part of the pedal. With respect to the Tremolessence, I don't think it's necessary. I think a lot of people wanted a volume on the outside and it was designed to please those request.

I am thinking I am going with the v.1. Know any good places to buy from? Analogue haven is the only place I know.

• Members

amp trem ftw

Haha. I get your point, but it's really about a $200 pedal versus getting a new amp. I'll stick to the pedals cause I can't afford a new amp. I get what you're saying though, but amp trems don't go very fast and don't have much versatility with respect to my needs.

• Members

Haha. I get your point, but it's really about a $200 pedal versus getting a new amp. I'll stick to the pedals cause I can't afford a new amp. I get what you're saying though, but amp trems don't go very fast and don't have much versatility with respect to my needs.

agreed, trem pedals have a ton more versatility, but it's not necessary for me.

• Members

because of the nature of tremolo, I'd guess the v2 is more of a "v1 with more features" unlike the cosmichorus, which is almost two different chorus pedals.

The new speed would be the main reason I'd consider the v2, otherwise you aren't missing too much.

As for dealers...AH is probably your best bet.

The Dr S. website has a list of dealers, but all are either out of stock, or overcharge (damn you Ludlow guitars)

• Members

I got mine from Scott at AxeAndYouShallReceive.com, excellent service. Pay a little more for faster shipping, as he is in Canada. I just ordered a Fairfield Barbershop from him too.

I actually think this pedal sounds very amp like, or can be mimic it very well, but has a ton more versatility. I'm selling my Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter (also really quite good) because I needed a small tremolo, but one that wasn't a one trick pony, and the Tremolessence fit to a T.

• Members

I got mine from Scott at AxeAndYouShallReceive.com, excellent service. Pay a little more for faster shipping, as he is in Canada. I just ordered a Fairfield Barbershop from him too.

I actually think this pedal sounds very amp like, or can be mimic it very well, but has a ton more versatility. I'm selling my Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter (also really quite good) because I needed a small tremolo, but one that wasn't a one trick pony, and the Tremolessence fit to a T.

Any other reason besides size to prefer the tremolessence to the shapeshifter?

I'm exploring trems again (I'm keeping the goatkeeper but it is rather large and I don't always use the sequencing).

I LOVED the semaphore, but I'm thinking I should explore other options for {censored}s and giggles (namely the tremolessence, empress, and shapeshifter)

• Members

Any other reason besides size to prefer the tremolessence to the shapeshifter?

I'm exploring trems again (I'm keeping the goatkeeper but it is rather large and I don't always use the sequencing).

I LOVED the semaphore, but I'm thinking I should explore other options for {censored}s and giggles (namely the tremolessence, empress, and shapeshifter)

I probably would keep the Shape Shifter if I hadn't redone everything and built a board that just couldn't hold everything. I think it sounds really good, hard to say how it compares directly to the Tremolessence, I haven't done it, I probably should. IMO, it is probably the most underrated tremolo on the market. And it has tap tempo, which most don't. It can go from soft to percussive and everywhere inbetween. The one complaint is that you can't use the tap tempo when the pedal is bypassed, which wasn't an issue for me, but apparently it is for others. No volume drop or increase, seems very accurate here. WHile it is larger in size, you can use your feet somewhat to change the controls which can be helpful.

I can't say it sounds just like the Tremolessence, it doesn't but it's really hard to describe how one tremolo varies from another. I liked both, the Tremolessence seems more amp like perhaps, a bit more analog, while the SS sounds a bit more sterile, not really warm, but it doesn't sound digitally either. Maybe just very accurate. One cool trick the Tremolessence does, if you use the faster setting, and I think the square wave, you can get a very synthy sound, especially with a bit of muff being used too. Way cool, I don't think the SS can do that.

• Members

I've been seriously thinking about getting a tremolo.

Here comes the obvious question...

Do I really have to spend a {censored}-ton of money to get a decent one?

That all depends. Go to a GC and check out the ehx stereo pulsar or the boss tr-2. Some people swear by them.

I didn't like either one (though I never tried a modded tr-2)

If you want tap tempo, I think the shapeshifter is the cheapest you can get.

• Members

I think the Fulldrive was my favorite tremolo thus far. Only complaint I had about the Boss TR-2 is no rate light. It's kind of important when you can hear yourself live. be careful about some TR-2 mods as well cause they are a bit noisy. Again Supa Trem was favorite thus far and we'll see if the Tremolessence will top it. Here's hoping.

Archived