Help making external footswitch for Boss RC-2 please!

• Members

So after doing some research, I've come to find that the RC-2 uses normally closed momentary switches, not the more widely available normally open variety. After looking around, the only inexpensive ones that I can find that seem any good (all the other ones are those mini types which don't look to reliable) are these DPDT momentary switch from effects connection:

http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=489

Now I totally understand what to do with SPST switches since there are only 2 lugs, but what do I do with these 6 lugs? Also, how would I wire it up if I decided to go with two footswitches using a stereo jack? Thanks for the help!

• Members

Now I totally understand what to do with SPST switches since there are only 2 lugs, but what do I do with these 6 lugs? Also, how would I wire it up if I decided to go with two footswitches using a stereo jack? Thanks for the help!

Very carefully. You must first send me your SSN and a credit card. ;)

Wire it like the SPST switch. Use your meter to figure out which side is on the "normally closed" side. Wire the tip to the common (middle) lug, and the ground to the other lug that makes the switch normally closed.

• Members

Right, well I just sent you my credit card info and SSN, so that part's done.

As far as the next step, I basically just have to run two wires off it just like the SPST switch? And either the two lugs on the left, or the two lugs on the right will be normally closed, right?

• Members

Right, well I just sent you my credit card info and SSN, so that part's done.

As far as the next step, I basically just have to run two wires off it just like the SPST switch? And either the two lugs on the left, or the two lugs on the right will be normally closed, right?

A DPDT switch has the six lugs:

1 2

3 4

5 6

Lugs 3 and 4 are the "common" port. Use your meter and figure out if both 1 and 5 are "normally closed" to lug 3 or if one's an open and one's closed. Click the switch and make sure that it's doing what you want.

• Members

The mini switches from radioshack hold up fine.

Did mine about a year ago, use it every day, never had any problems.

Really, they seem so small and fragile. There are also these on ebay. I wonder how they compare in quality to the ones from Radio Shack.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290326047882&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

9daa_1.JPG

or from Radio Shack

pRS1C-2160448w345.jpg

• Members

Post pics for a walk through please! I want to make one too, but I'm a complete noob at wiring things up.

You just connect the ground to one lug on both switches; then the tip to the other lug to one switch, and then the ring to the other lug on the second switch.

• Members

This might be a simple concept for you guys, but whats the difference in using a DPDT instead of a SPST?

An SPST switch turns one connection on or off. It only has two positions, made, or broke.

A DPDT switch can turn two connections from one status to another. It doesnt have to be just made or broke. It can be made or made, just sent to two different places.

You can always use a DPDT in place of a SPST.

Edit: Wtf, ninja deleted. Glad i quoted so I don't seem crazy.

• Members

An SPST switch turns one connection on or off. It only has two positions, made, or broke.

A DPDT switch can turn two connections from one status to another. It doesnt have to be just made or broke. It can be made or made, just sent to two different places.

You can always use a DPDT in place of a SPST.

Edit: Wtf, ninja deleted. Glad i quoted so I don't seem crazy.

wtf I didn't say that o.o;

Hahaha thanks for the ninja reply. Yeah I sorta found out about it real quick, but thanks for summarizing it into a single post for me =D

• Members

Thanks for the all the posts guys. I think I am all set! I'm going to house the dual footswitches for my RC-2 plus an additional tap tempo switch for my Echohead in one enclosure. This cheapie for $2.99 from Radio Shack will fit the bill perfectly:

pRS1C-2160124w345.jpg

After looking more closely at SuperVelcro's mods I realize I was looking at the wrong switches at Radio Shack. He used these:

pRS1C-2160450w345.jpg

Since the radio shack ones are $3.99 for two, I might as well buy the DPDT ones I mentioned from effects connection. They are only $1.75 each, though they will be more once you factor in shipping. But I have a few other things to buy there anyway, and the switches seem to be much more foot stomping friendly.

dpdtfootswitch_3.jpg

• Members

Plus, the ones SVB used were wrong.

Make sure it's normally closed.

Oh SVB, used the wrong ones? I just went back and looked at his write up...I see. At first I thought he used the SPST NC switches that come in a pack of 4 which I posted pics of first. Then I noticed that the tops looked different, so I figured he must have used the SPDT switches (since I know the RC-2 requires switches that are NC). But now looking at it again, you're right. He used a pack of 2 SPST switches. And the only SPST switches radio shack sells in a pack of 2 that look like that are NO).

So which ones did you use then? The SPST NC or the SPDT switches from Radio Shack?

• Members

Oh SVB, used the wrong ones? I just went back and looked at his write up...I see. At first I thought he used the SPST NC switches that come in a pack of 4 which I posted pics of first. Then I noticed that the tops looked different, so I figured he must have used the SPDT switches (since I know the RC-2 requires switches that are NC). But now looking at it again, you're right. He used a pack of 2 SPST switches. And the only SPST switches radio shack sells in a pack of 2 that look like that are NO).

So which ones did you use then? The SPST NC or the SPDT switches from Radio Shack?

When SVB first did it (and what his tutorial is written up as) were done with NO, but he adds later that they should be NC.

I use the mini-push button NC's from ratshack.

Archived