MJ--most notable celebrity death since Elvis?

• Members

For sure! That was mostly a women's thing too. I was just a kid, but I remember so many people (women mostly) being really upset about that. Like all the moms of everyone I knew. She was just another rich bitch celebrity as far as I could tell, but lots of people really loved her for some reason. Probably because she was a commoner who became a real live princess.

Any of you guys old enough to remember that? Did Lady Di mean anything to you?

yeesh evidently i'm an old man now

i was like 15 or 16, i remember it well... Diana was in no way a "rich bitch celebrity" and my bet is if you called her that to one of the women who she did truly mean something to's face they'd slap the {censored} out of you for it. now, personally at that age what she was to me was one of the very rare and prominent worldly people who seemed to be a genuinely good person--she was an actual role model, and a worthy one. I was very sad that she died. It didn't destroy me or anything like that, but I did feel as if we'd lost someone that we'd have been much better off still having around.

She was much more than a celebrity. She was, perhaps to go out on a bit of a limb here, a genuine hero. She exuded class and grace and did an incredible amount of humanitarian work. She was a true symbol of "good"

Diana was for real. She earned her celebrity through being a genuinely good person in some rare and often difficult circumstances.

I often think now that one of the reasons the Queen is so friendly with Michelle Obama is that Michelle is in many ways the closest thing we've had to a new Diana since she died, and the Queen knows that she and the rest of the royal family really did themselves a disservice by treating Diana the way they did, and may want to vicariously make up for it through good will towards Michelle.

Just my $.02 :idk:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Jesus death 2,000 years ago didn't effect the masses till a thousand years later(of course there was a few fans early on), ever since they never shut the hell up about it.

:lol:

Not applicable. :cop:

Deaths after Elvis not before. :facepalm:

The Beatles are more popular than jesus anyway.

• Members
Jesus death 2,000 years ago didn't effect the masses till a thousand years later(
of course there was a few fans early on
), ever since they never shut the hell up about it.

:lol:

hahahahaha.....funny. :lol:

• Members

mary hansen of stereolab

i wouldn't say she was a celebrity (more of a musician i guess), but it makes me so sad whenever i listen to 'dots and loops'. it's such a great record with beautiful moments all over the place. happy-sad, strong yet fragile.

she and laetitia were the perfect match made in heaven in terms of singing in duet. and now we realise she's no longer there... listening to their later records where laetitia is singing all the parts.

:cry::cry::cry:

• Members

i wouldn't say she was a celebrity (more of a musician i guess), but it makes me so sad whenever i listen to 'dots and loops'. it's such a great record with beautiful moments all over the place. happy-sad, strong yet fragile.

she and laetitia were the perfect match made in heaven in terms of singing in duet. and now we realise she's no longer there... listening to their later records where laetitia is singing all the parts.

:cry:

+1

Jay Bennett, too...

• Members

wasnt alive for elvis or lennon
george harrison was sad. as was michael hutchence.
heath ledger (esp walking out of seeing batman some months later) left me feeling odd. it seemed to fantastical to be real. like a proper myth.
cobain for just the feeling of waste.

Lennon, Di, Elvis, JFK & MJ i think would be the 5 most notables in terms of worldwide effect.

• Members

Wow. So you're saying that (1) she was a very much cooler person than I knew and (2) a lot of men cared about her too?

I didn't know about the humanitarian work. I mostly remember her being in the tabloids competing with Fergie for who was the best dressed. And all the chatter when she and Prince Boring cheated on each other.

Thanks. She was kind of before my time.

And Michelle Obama is definitely a class act all the way.

yeesh evidently i'm an old man now

i was like 15 or 16, i remember it well... Diana was in no way a "rich bitch celebrity"...

• Members

Wow. So you're saying that (1) she was a very much cooler person than I knew and (2) a lot of men cared about her too?

I didn't know about the humanitarian work. I mostly remember her being in the tabloids competing with Fergie for who was the best dressed. And all the chatter when she and Prince Boring cheated on each other.

Thanks. She was kind of before my time.

And Michelle Obama is definitely a class act all the way.

I think she was definitely a strong role model for women so more women related to her personally--but she was admired and respected by men just the same. She really did do a tremendous amount of good work and though the tabloids did like to keep track of her... she was a princess! a real honest-to-god one so it sort of came with the territory. But she was never a tabloid figure like we think of today... as a matter of fact now than I think about it tabloids themselves have gotten much trashier. they used to be more along the lines of pure "gossip" rather than "trashy gossip"... hah. I'm sure they verged into trashiness a lot too, its not like i ever read them, but i'd see 'em at the grocery store or whatever like we all do now. but they covered her more like they do Angelina Jolie or... yeah, Michelle Obama, than say Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan or something.

Diana was a class act for sure. It was a genuine tragedy.

• Members

He wants to give his organ to children.

They say it might be food poisoning, that's what happens when you eat 10 year old sausages.

He wanted to be cremated but he can't because LA have laws about burning plastics

The forensic pathologist has been on the news a minute ago, a news reporter asked him if it was LA's heat wave or his party life that killed him.

He replied "Don't blame it on the sunshine, don't blame it on the good times, blame it on the boogie."

Michael Jackson suffered cardiac arrest after realising he was not ******* a child, only a midget.

Reporters were desperately trying to confirm the news of Michael Jackson's death by contacting his friends. Unfortunately, they are all in bed at this late hour, as they have school in the morning

Update: All Jackson's dates are now cancelled, including Simon and Ryan aged 5 and 9

Enviromentalists aren't happy about the funeral plans... he isn't biodegradable.

Macauley Culkin hasn't seen him that stiff for years!

What's the difference between Michael Jackson and Casper?

One is pale and scares kids and the other is a friendly ghost.

Anyway, I think Freddie Mercury's was more important.

Archived