Brǘno

Mattyc146

• Members
If you don't like the movie, fine, but don't give me the "I hate what _______ has become" schpiel. If anything, this should be a step in the right direction. Consider Borat and Bruno: two tongue-in-cheek expos

• Members

I saw it the day it opened and thought it was an alright movie nothing spectacular... I think mostly because it was more forced compared to other comedies including Borat, as if Sasha was trying to hard in certain parts. It's sorta the same joke over and over, and I'm not really offended by anything. So compared to other people in the theater it wasn't all that shocking. On the other hand the lady behind me started screaming at the top of her lungs at the 20ft dancing penis on the screen, and wouldn't shut up for 10mins. I guess she hadn't seen Borat and didn't know what she was getting into....

To other people its more shocking i guess, but the whole repeated I'm gay joke every 30 seconds throughout the movie got boring pretty quick to me. I mean its pretty much the same storyline as Borat, Immigrant travels from his native country to the USA fails at everything he does, hits rock bottom before he has an epiphany and gets back on track. so to me it didn't really live up to all the media hype. There are alot of funny parts but i think overall it was pretty mediocre.

• Members
It was funny. Not Borat funny, but it was funny and enjoyable.

And its pretty stupid to hear people everywhere say "I hated it because it had to many penises and balls"
:facepalm:

Funny, that's the same reason I hated the Tour de France.

• Members

I guess Cohen's stuff is more funny to non-american's, because It's trying to joke about "ordinary americans".
and that's allways funny :lol:

look up some of ali g/borat/bruno stuff from his shows. I's hilarious :)

• Members

Is it as good as
Ali G In Da House
?

Nothing, NOTHING is as good as Ali G In Da House.

I had several thoughts about this movie. First, I thought the overall story was rather weak. Many of the scenes themselves were great, but it felt patched together as a whole.

Then I thought, this movie is way too gay for people. This bugged me for awhile until I realized there aren't really any gay people in it. It's just Sacha Baron Cohen making people uncomfortable around a touchy subject, just like Borat.

Overall the movie is very funny. If you are homophobic do not see the movie. If you do not enjoy the movie, it does not mean you are a homophobe.

The movie reminds me how big the U.S. is and how different peoples' attitudes and opinions are. I half joke that I would understand why people hate the U.S. based on how it is represented in this movie.

• Members
If you don't like the movie, fine, but don't give me the "I hate what _______ has become" schpiel. If anything, this should be a step in the right direction. Consider Borat and Bruno: two tongue-in-cheek expos

• Members

Thing is, Bruno was less of a reflection of America. In a lot of places he went far enough that it was wasn't about showing homophobia, it was just stuff that would make anyone uncomfortable. A lot of it was just taken so far that it lost humor for shock value.

For example look at the hunting scene. Starts out funny. But when he keeps escalating it and eventually shows up hitting on the guy naked, of course he is going to freak out. That's different than freaking out frat boys for being on Gay TV.

There were a few genuinely funny parts, but a lot of the time he just seemed desperate for a reaction. No {censored} people are going to look at you weird when you have double bondage suits and dancing penises everywhere.

Borat on the other hand had much more subtle, and IMO funnier techniques. Like kissing people on the train and {censored}ting in bags. They seem outlandish, but played of well with cultural differences. In Bruno, it was just non-stop "look at me I'm gay."

As far as the improv goes, huge respect there, he puts himself in wild situations that I could never do.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the movie as well. More shock than humor IMO. He is just insane for going to the middle east and interviewing a terrorist.

Archived