Delay into Amp with no effects loop

Vitalogy57

• Members

I'm looking at getting a Fryette D60, which is unfortunately sans FX Loop....

I'm thinking of adding a delay into my signal for some slap back/lead lines (rockabilly for the slap back, and to add some thickness to the solos), but usually i prefer sticking the delay in the loop for that stuff, which leads me to my question.

What do you think are good qualities of a delay to stick in front of an amp? Does digital work better than analog cause the repeats are cleaner? Or does it work the other way around in your experience? What say you?

Thanks guys

• Members

Is the Fryette a non MV? Are you going to be using amp dirt or pedal dirt? If pedal dirt, just place your delays after the dirt and you should be fine. Other than that, I would look into modding your fryette for an effects loop, especially if it's a higher gain fryette(not familier with the D60 to be honest), as running almost any delay into the front end of a high gain amp will sound like {censored} 90% of the time.

Edit: Oh yeah it's the Deliverence, then yes mod the f'er for an effects loop.

• Members

I'd rather not hack the amp and kill it's resale value (just in case...). I wouldn't be using the delay with high high gain. The thing about Fryettes though is the lack of saturation. I think that may have a HUGE effect on how delays sound going straight in. It may work out for that. I'm going to end up taking my delay and reverb pedal into the store to try out with the head, but i figured getting an idea of how to make it work would save me some time when i try some other pedals with the amp

• Members

As long as you play relatively clean, there won't be any problems.

^ This.

It's the saturation that kills the delays (or, rather, makes them sound harsh and far too loud), not the lack of an fx loop per se. If you use the amp's distortion channel (mid to high gain), the delay will sound better and more consistent in the fx loop. If you run the amp relatively clean or like an old Marshall (with breakup, but not high gain saturated), it will work just fine in front of the amp. If you need more dirt, just stick an overdrive in front of the delay, and rock.

Compensating the delay level for a little amp dirt (that stays basically the same at all times) is not a problem - it's the channel switching (where the amp alternates between being clean and heavily saturated) that causes issues when running delay in front.

/Andreas

• Members

^ This.

It's the
saturation
that kills the delays (or, rather, makes them sound harsh and far too loud), not the lack of an fx loop per se. If you use the amp's distortion channel (mid to high gain), the delay will sound better and more consistent in the fx loop. If you run the amp relatively clean or like an old Marshall (with breakup, but not high gain saturated), it will work just fine in front of the amp. If you need more dirt, just stick an overdrive in front of the delay, and rock.

Compensating the delay level for a little amp dirt (that stays basically the same at all times) is not a problem - it's the channel switching (where the amp alternates between being clean and heavily saturated) that causes issues when running delay in front.

/Andreas

Andreas ftw

• Members

I've been running the "echo" out on my DMM to a seperate amp, set pretty much clean. I don't use a lot of amp distortion, anyway, so even just running straight in works pretty well, but the seperate amp definitely clears it up, quite a bit.

I use a Sunface for fuzz, but it's before the DMM, anyway.

Archived