Fantom G Manual and sound list

nielsh

• Members

Which begs the question ... Where does one put all this goodness?

For those serious about expansion, it seems like two ARX slots will be a serious problem.

Even four SRX slots could be considered inadequate ... I'd certainly add more if I could ...

Is it just me, or do these sound a tad over-priced compared to the Motif XS?

Not really. The Fan-G will be a terrific instrument ... but also perhaps decidedly less so for those already with an expanded X ...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it just me, or do these sound a tad over-priced compared to the Motif XS?

TBH - nearly everything that has come out in the last year seem to have grossly inflated prices compared to the equivelent previous round of new gear releases - this seem to be true of all of the major romplers, the v-synth gt, nord wave, new DSI gear (where it there is a huge difference between US and UK prices, even allowng for any form of tax you could conceivably think of), either that or we can all expect some really huge price drops soon, though I dont suppose the DSI P-08 mess will ever be fixed.

Maybe its just everyone is deciding to rip of europeans at the moment and maybe the US prices are pretty much as they were, but the end result is I just absolutely refuse to pay the kind of prices that are being asked for now.

It should be cheaper to buy stuff in europe at the moment - not more expensive if the dollar is to be thought of as the general reference point, otherwise prices should be generally as they were here and hugely higher in the states.

Perhaps someone with a background in economics can explain this mess?

My guess is a crappy dollar is pushing the dollar prices of gear up and the dollar price is being used against the old commercial averaged dollar to pound/euro rate to fix retail process here - end result - we are being severely ripped off.

• Members

TBH - nearly everything that has come out in the last year seem to have grossly inflated prices compared to the equivelent previous round of new gear releases - this seem to be true of all of the major romplers, the v-synth gt, nord wave, new DSI gear (where it there is a huge difference between US and UK prices, even allowng for any form of tax you could conceivably think of), either that or we can all expect some really huge price drops soon, though I dont suppose the DSI P-08 mess will ever be fixed.

Maybe its just everyone is deciding to rip of europeans at the moment and maybe the US prices are pretty much as they were, but the end result is I just absolutely refuse to pay the kind of prices that are being asked for now.

It should be cheaper to buy stuff in europe at the moment - not more expensive if the dollar is to be thought of as the general reference point, otherwise prices should be generally as they were here and hugely higher in the states.

Perhaps someone with a background in economics can explain this mess?

My guess is a crappy dollar is pushing the dollar prices of gear up and the dollar price is being used against the old commercial averaged dollar to pound/euro rate to fix retail process here - end result - we are being severely ripped off.

"Roland (UK) Ltd is responsible in the UK and Ireland for the biggest brand name in the world of electronic musical instruments.

We are a sales, marketing & distribution company and our UK head office and warehouse is located in Swansea. We supply over 500 independent music stores with Roland and BOSS products, as well as running and managing our own retail operations, within existing music shops and department stores across the entire country."

I agree, from what I can tell from folks in your countries, the pricing can be frustrating

It appears that Roland has the distribution co model similar to Korg

I suspect for co's like Roland UK to make an operational profit, they have to maintain there ( high ?) selling margins. In other words, they see little benefit to drop prices at retail to ' buy ' more market share.

France and Germany ( and possibly in the UK, you tell me) has 'pro labor ' business practices. So employees can't be easily kicked out the door.

In the US, its the opposite. While it varies to some degree per state, an employee is hired ' at will ' of the employer. There is no implied contract for employment. US employees can be terminated immediately, with no reason, no notice. Does it happen ? Hellyeah, all the time. Especially in high tech

Bottom line, US co's can immediately cut their labor costs. While not the only reason, the size/volume of the US market plus the ability to immediately control labor costs, contributes to slightly better pricing

Have you noticed, Yamaha, Korg, Roland all keep their prices relatively uniform ? When you have the top 3 in a market doing this, this keeps prices

' stable'

• Members

Bottom line, US co's can immediately cut their labor costs. While not the only reason, the size/volume of the US market plus the ability to immediately control labor costs, contributes to slightly better pricing.

Most major MI companies utilize national distributors. My Korg rep one said that the US is 60-70% of the world market for them. Since Korg USA is a distributor that purchases products directly from Japan, and they order way more product than other distributors, they can negotiate a better price. It's not a huge difference, as Korg Japan still pretty much owns them, but it's big enough to make a difference.

The labor cost disparity between the US and other countries is really a non-issue as far as MI companies are concerned.

Have you noticed Yamaha, Korg, Roland all keep their prices relatively uniform? When you have the top 3 in a market doing this, this keeps prices 'stable'

I'm sure they don't get together and say "Hey guys, lets all sell our flagship workstations for this." Most likely, the marketing department at Roland Japan said "Okay guys, we have to hit the M3's price point, because that appears to be what the market can bear." Sell it for much more (even $100 more) and sales will drop precipitously. Sell it for much less (even $100 less) and everyone will complain that they didn't add $100 and a bit more sound ROM (or whatever).

Unfortunately, when the dollar suffers, so does everyone else. If the dollar forces Korg USA to pay X amount more for M3s (due to its relationship to the yen), the end consumer has to pay the difference. When 60-70% of your market is paying more, sales drop. When sales drop, Korg Japan makes less money and has to charge their other worldwide distributors more.

That's radically simplifying things, but there you go. The US economy's in the toilet (due mainly to the war and an insanely inflated housing market that's crumbling under our feet), and it unfortunately affects everyone.

Sorry guys! :wave:

• Members

1)Since Korg USA is a distributor that purchases products directly from Japan, and they order way more product than other distributors, they can negotiate a better price. It's not a huge difference, as Korg Japan still pretty much owns them,

2)I'm sure they don't get together and say "Hey guys, lets all sell our flagship workstations for
this
." Most likely, the marketing department at Roland Japan said "Okay guys, we have to hit the M3's price point, because that appears to be what the market can bear." Sell it for much more (even $100 more) and sales will drop precipitously. Sell it for much less (even $100 less) and everyone will complain that they didn't add $100 and a bit more sound ROM (or whatever).

3) Unfortunately, when the dollar suffers, so does everyone else. If the dollar forces Korg USA to pay X amount more for M3s (due to its relationship to the yen), the end consumer has to pay the difference. When 60-70% of your market is paying more, sales drop. When sales drop, Korg Japan makes less money and has to charge their other worldwide distributors more.

4)That's radically simplifying things, but there you go. The US economy's in the toilet (due mainly to the war and an insanely inflated housing market that's crumbling under our feet), and it unfortunately affects everyone.

mostly agree

1) can you prove that KORG USA is owned by Korg Japan ?

Everything I have read is that Korg USA is a separate , independant co.

Who are the owners of Korg USA ? The proof is there

2) of course, there is no outright collusion. But the big 3 act to closely in terms of similar product pricing. IMO. perhaps, this is more reaction to what the market will bear.

Remember, the grip is about ' high prices' . Are the prices ' high ' to you, yes or no ? Or are they ' about right ' ?

3) excellent point

4) totally agree. The US gov't spends money like they are credit card junkies with a crack habit. No fiscal discipline. That eventually blows up in our faces. We pay the ultimate price.

• Members
1) can you prove that KORG USA is owned by Korg Japan? Everything I have read is that Korg USA is a separate, independant co.

You may be right; I have no proof. Most American MI distributors of Japanese products are somewhat independent, but with controlling interest owned by their parent company. If Korg USA is indeed 100% independent, that would greatly increase their negotiating power, resulting in a much higher disparity between stateside and overseas pricing.

• Members
''Click the mouse on the keyboard icon shown in

the name entry screen. The virtual keyboard will appear.''

Not only that, but the G has an OSX Spotlight-esque search function for patches/live sets/studio sets. Start typing the name and the list will instantly limit itself. Very cool, especially considering Roland's finally dumped the antiquated concept of banks

• Members

We pay the ultimate price.

No wrong - WE (as in europeans) are paying the price of YOUR mess - your guys are hardly being touched by it - I didnt vote for this bunch of idiots if you want to blame the administration. You (collectively as americans) did - its your mess - why the hell should we have to pay for it?

Given the impact of this - I would feel a whole load happier if our (actually UK and the rest of the europeans countries) armed forces were bombing the hell out of washington for fucking up the global economy than doing whatever useless bits of NATO makework they are upto at the moment. yes Im a selfish bastard ;) if they are going to blow shit up, then there should be tangeable benefit to it - to me! :)

Getting decent prices on gear is something *well* worth going to war over! :)

• Members

No wrong - WE (as in europeans) are paying the price of YOUR mess - your guys are hardly being touched by it - I didnt vote for this bunch of idiots if you want to blame the administration. You (collectively as americans) did - its your mess - why the hell should we have to pay for it?

Given the impact of this - I would feel a whole load happier if our (actually UK and the rest of the europeans countries) armed forces were bombing the hell out of washington for fucking up the global economy than doing whatever useless bits of NATO makework they are upto at the moment. yes Im a selfish bastard
;)
if they are going to blow shit up, then there should be tangeable benefit to it - to me!
:)

Getting decent prices on gear is something *well* worth going to war over!

no, WE ALL ARE PAYING THE PRICE. In many ways, not simply in

your ' selfish bastard keyboard world'

I completely agree that US gov't policies has made a huge incalculable mess on a domestic AND global basis

• Members

Simply amazing! How does a thread about the New Fantom G's soundset turn into a war about US Government policies, price gouging/price fixing and corporate profits?

this is KSS. Its a miracle midget boxing and random pictures of scantilly clad women havnt entered the thread.

• Members

mostly agree

1) can you prove that KORG USA is owned by Korg Japan ?

Everything I have read is that Korg USA is a separate , independant co.

Who are the owners of Korg USA ? The proof is there

At least according to Hoover's:

Company Name / Location / Company Type

Korg Inc. / Inagi, Japan / Private

Korg USA, Inc. / Melville, NY, United States / Subsidiary

http://www.hoovers.com/korg-usa/--ID__104654--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml

I aways assumed Korg USA was a subsidiary of Korg Japan, although run as a separate entity (profit and loss center).

• Members

Sorry. :(

• Members

Khazul:

People like Tony Blair have played an instrumental role in the initiation and prosecution of the Iraq War.

If I am not mistaken, Blair is a citizen of the United Kingdom, at one time a rather prominent citizen.........

Just sayin'............

;)

• Members

Khazul:

People like Tony Blair have played an instrumental role in the initiation and prosecution of the Iraq War.

If I am not mistaken, Blair is a citizen of the United Kingdom, at one time a rather prominent citizen.........

Just sayin'............

;)

And??? I didnt vote for that asshole either...

Anyway - this isnt a war thing - is a why the hell are we being ripped off thing.

Archived