Atlanta trip

• Members

Haha... the Clermont, that junk is crazy. Eristic listed the good music shops, the GC's sometimes have some good deals, and little 5 points/Virginia Highlands/Grant Park/Cabbage Town are where all the "cool" people congregate. Though to be honest Atl has one of the more pretentious indie scenes I've ever been a part of.

For God's sake go get a burrito at El Myr (honestly the best burritos ever) and a blue cheese burger at the Vortex in Little 5, the cool bars are the Graveyard off of Glenwood and the Local off of Ponce De Leon.

I live near Oakhurst Village in Decatur and I like it around there. Its somewhat "Indie" but most of the people there are chill and just want to have a beer and relax.

Also...seriously are there any halfway decent hole in the wall Mexican joints in this town? The only really good stuff we've had is Uncle Julio's, but that's a chain from Dallas and its a little on the pricier side. So far everywhere we've been steered towards has sucked. EDIT: I should clarify...not Baja Fresh type interior Mexican. I'm talking delicious greasy Tex-Mex goodness.

We went to this place not long ago, Raging Burrito which is always packed and people rave about it...possibly the first time I've ever experienced somebody screwing up a Quesadilla.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who knew there were so many denizens of the ATL around here?!

We ought to put together an HC beer night at the Brick Store or something.

Speaking of which, if you're a beer fan, this place is a MUST:

Damn...that's down the street for me and has been on our list of places to go since we moved here. I'm 100% down.

• Members

I live near Oakhurst Village in Decatur and I like it around there. Its somewhat "Indie" but most of the people there are chill and just want to have a beer and relax.

Also...seriously are there any halfway decent hole in the wall Mexican joints in this town? The only really good stuff we've had is Uncle Julio's, but that's a chain from Dallas and its a little on the pricier side. So far everywhere we've been steered towards has sucked. EDIT: I should clarify...not Baja Fresh type interior Mexican. I'm talking delicious greasy Tex-Mex goodness.

We went to this place not long ago, Raging Burrito which is always packed and people rave about it...possibly the first time I've ever experienced somebody screwing up a Quesadilla.

I mean, it's not really true mexican food... imagine taking a Moe's burrito and making it out of the BEST ingredients on an amazing tortilla, it's great stuff. I love burritos and now I'm craving one something fierce, but I'm fairly sure that there's not a comparable burrito anywhere in the state of Connecticut where I'm at for the next month.

• Members

I mean, it's not really true mexican food... imagine taking a Moe's burrito and making it out of the BEST ingredients on an amazing tortilla, it's great stuff. I love burritos and now I'm craving one something fierce, but I'm fairly sure that there's not a comparable burrito anywhere in the state of Connecticut where I'm at for the next month.

I think you just described my dream burrito. Where and what is this place? I need it.

• Moderators

Not a hole in the wall, but Taqueria del Sol is *usually* pretty great!

There are quite a few great Mexican joints of serving foods of suspect quality up here in the Cartersville/Rome area.

Also, if you haven't been to the Brazilian Bakery on Powers Ferry in Marietta, you've got to get out there. It's cheap and well worth the trip.

• Members

Dirt Cheep Music FTW

This!!! I remember the first time I ever went in there they had an 80's Les Paul Custom with a maple fretboard for $1,200. There was nothing wrong with it whatsoever. I was broke as {censored} at the time so I missed out on that but they always have good {censored} for good prices.

• Members

Dirt Cheep Music FTW

Pretty meh. Been there lots of times and never bought anything. I used to like Galaxy for used stuff but they moved up 400 and it's nowhere near the same anymore.

I'll second (or third) Atlanta Discount Music, Music Brokers, and if I was going to a Guitar Center, I'd go N. Druid Hills, the Marietta one, then Gwinnett as far as cool stuff goes, but the Marietta one is down the street from the big Ken Stanton and Sam Ash, so at least you can check all those out.

I need to check out Midtown Music - I think I went there years ago; are they going to close?

edit: I guess Music Go Round is my favorite used store now-some cool stuff, prices aren't the cheapest and no negotiating, but you can find some cool stuff sometimes.

• Moderators

I need to check out Midtown Music - I think I went there years ago; are they going to close?

Yeah, the guy is retiring, so he's got killer deals on Dr Z amps and whatever is left. They're closing as soon as he's out of inventory, unless someone buys the business from him.

• Members

Pretty meh. Been there lots of times and never bought anything. I used to like Galaxy for used stuff but they moved up 400 and it's nowhere near the same anymore.

I'll second (or third) Atlanta Discount Music, Music Brokers, and if I was going to a Guitar Center, I'd go N. Druid Hills, the Marietta one, then Gwinnett as far as cool stuff goes, but the Marietta one is down the street from the big Ken Stanton and Sam Ash, so at least you can check all those out.

edit: I guess Music Go Round is my favorite used store now-some cool stuff, prices aren't the cheapest and no negotiating, but you can find some cool stuff sometimes.

Where is the Music Go Round?

• Members

+100, you can check out Star Bar, 5 Spot, Wax n Facts, Criminal and Stratosphere to start out. Be sure to admire all the super cool hipsters too
:rolleyes:

Coming from Austin L5P just annoyed the hell out of me. GET A JOB HIPPIES! :lol: :lol: :lol:

However...Vortex is overrated IMHO...but still good and everybody should check it out, just don't wait in line for an hour to eat there...better burgers can be had.

• Members

Lilburn. They have an amp I want that is going on sale probably tomorrow. Stay away!
:mad:

:o

I was so broke up until yesterday I was trying to sell my '66 Princeton to make ends meet. Trust me I won't be buying {censored} any time soon.

Plus...I'm in Decatur and that is a LONG drive for me, the only time I go that far is up towards Roswell, never that far east.

• Members
Coming from Austin L5P just annoyed the hell out of me. GET A JOB HIPPIES!
:lol:

However...Vortex is overrated IMHO...but still good and everybody should check it out, just don't wait in line for an hour to eat there...better burgers can be had.

I agree, Vortex is meh. I like Little Five more the artsy/eccentric vibes. And why would you leave Austin to live in Atlanta? :freak:

Archived