Boss frv-1 reverb first thoughts

gearnut

• Members

So I received the new Boss frv-1 spring reverb pedal from tonefactor today. I've been using a line 6 verbzilla, mostly for spring reverb sounds, and for my main band it's on all the time. I rarely use the other modes. I think it's ok, but kind of uninspiring. I also never really liked the build - it seemed really heavy but also cheap at the same time. The knobs move too easy and the foot switch seems loose. I tend to go for a pretty drenchy reverb sound, surfy-esque, and pretty long.

So the Boss showed up today and it has the usual build boss build. The colors are Fendery and it looks cool. But how does it sound? Well, I'm initially of two minds. If you want a really drenched sound, like drippy - your guitar is in a well sound, this is your pedal. Kind of like The Walkmen, if you know them at all. It's a beautiful inspiring tone; wet, organic. But if you want something more practical, it's a closer call. I haven't a/b'd them yet (the line 6 is at the practice space), but I think the boss is warmer, but they're very close. One thing I don't like is the mix knob, it changes your mix of wet and dry, rather than just adding wet to the dry sound. Your dry disappears pretty quickly (like by 10:00 on the knob). The tone knob works well, but there's not as much range as on the Line 6. The dwell works as it should, going from short to really long reverbs (it gets almost feedbacky at the far end). The Line 6 has more control, but the range seems about the same, with the boss doing more on the extreme end. It's a good sounding reverb pedal, at some settings awesome, but it's not blowing me away exactly. We'll have to see how it does at full volume at practice, and I have a feeling it will replace the line6, at least for a while. I'm also extremely tempted to try the Spring Chicken...

• Members

I tend to hate anything with the word "modelling" in it, unless it's got women involved.

Is the 'verb in the boss digiverb or an actual spring inside it?

If you're having thoughts like "I don't like the mix/blend situation" and "It kills your dry signal" it sounds like a take-back-to-the-store deal.

I've found that I'll buy a crappy pedal and try to convince myself that the things I hate aren't really a hinderance, but an obstacle I must figure out how to overcome. Then reality sets in, which flourishes into acceptance, that if I have to "really work" on a good sound from a pedal, then it's a piece of {censored}--no matter who makes it.

• Members

thanks for the review gearnut.

It wasn't too enthused when I heard about the FRV-1

I have a verbzilla and like it. I also have a Spring Chicken and LOVE it. The SP is my short/spring verb and I use the Zilla for the Plate. I never spent too much time with the verbzilla's spring settings so I can't say how the zilla's spring compares to the SP but the SP is quite an amazing pedal. If you feel the FRV-1 leaves something to be desired, I'd check out the SP

• Members

I was Almost Seriously Considering the purchase of this pedal but the other day I clicked my Sunn reverb footswitch on a whim and lo and behold! It worked, which is something it hasn't done since I bought it. Awesomely, the reverb and trem buttons are close enough together that with some creative foot positioning I can click both on at once. Instant surf/the bassline from Greased Lighting, which renders this FRV-1 almost entirely useless! Yay, I saved imaginary money! :)

:cry:

Archived