DigiTech PDS-8000 EchoPlus vs. EHX 16 Second Delay

Jumbo Fuzz

• Members

on most of the 16SDD's you have to preset your loop time which is a pain in the ass to use on the fly. this was fixed on the later versions. if you're looking to manipulate loops once they've been made it's hard to beat this pedal though. you can speed up/ slow down with or without changing tempo, reverse and add modulation with control over the speed and depth.

• Members

I don't loop with the PDS-8000. I use it as my basic digital delay. Conversely I don't use the 16 second delay as a delay, but as a dedicated looper.

It's easier to loop with the 16SD. If you have the update you can do unlimited looping, and don't have to worry about a count in.

The mix took me the longest time to get right, having your input and output balance just right, while not having too much added gain. The sweep controls are really neat and fun to play with and I expect you will really enjoy using them. I leave them alone for the most part when playing music, but doing noise stuff I mess with them quite frequently.

If you can get the footswitch for the 16SD, I highly recommend it. It makes things much easier, and I really wish I had one. I haven't tried using it with the midi out yet, so can't comment on that.

The PDS-8000...well...like I said haven't really gotten down the looping feature on it, so I pretty much use it as a straight forward delay. It's one of the few delays I've used that when you change the delay time the repeats flow smoothly like an analog delay.

Hope that helps ya out. Oh yeah, and the 16SD is cheaper on average than the PDS-8000. =)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

last time i checked with them they still would do the modifications but that was over a year ago. you should just email or call them and ask. the modification eliminates the four beat count in when the time slider is all the way up and allows you to use it the way you would most standard loopers. stomp to start recording then stomp to start playback.

• Members

i used to own a pds 8000. as a phrase sampler, it won't work well. what it does do though is very cool--you can do more random sound-collage sort of looping. i love it.

if that's what you're after--given the prices of pds 8000's--the pigtronix echolution does alot more.

or get a pds 20/20--you can tweak it for longer looping time (maybe around 6 seconds before it starts to degrade) and you have the ability to add modulation.

• Members

last time i checked with them they still would do the modifications but that was over a year ago. you should just email or call them and ask. the modification eliminates the four beat count in when the time slider is all the way up and allows you to use it the way you would most standard loopers. stomp to start recording then stomp to start playback.

thanks!

Archived