Novation: When will they make an 88-key Controller?

Palaver

• Members

Hi all,

I dig my remote SL. I hope to God this company makes a metal controller with a weighted 88-key board.

Any rumours? Any news from Music Messe? Are novation open to responding to public e-mails about product development? Let's try.

Cheers,

Phil

• Members

Novation isn't trying to promote cheesy prog-rock soloing or classical pianoforte- so NO- they keep their boards as short as sophistcated modern compostion requires-

remember: a synthesizer is not a keyboard instrument- the piano style keyboard was only adopted for it's ease of note-entry - but only the basic layout- trying to provide a full piano style keyboard for a syntheiszer is rather like gluing feathers to a jet airliner because birds have them: you don't don't have to take everything- only what you need to do the job

• Members

Novation isn't trying to promote cheesy prog-rock soloing or classical pianoforte- so NO- they keep their boards as short as sophistcated modern compostion requires-

Maybe not, but I think some of us would be willing to pay even a little bit more if it weren't built like something from Playskool. You shouldn't be able to take a hold of each end and actually twist it.

• Members

like gluing feathers to a jet airliner because birds have them

bahahaha. that's funny.

even so, people that CAN play classical piano, shouldn't be pigeon holed because a majority of the rest of people can't.

a full graded hammer 88 key MIDI controller with as much control, and assiginability as the axiom, or novation stuff, SHOULD be out already. i'm really surprised it's not.

• Members

bahahaha. that's funny.

even so, people that CAN play classical piano, shouldn't be pigeon holed because a majority of the rest of people can't.

a full graded hammer 88 key MIDI controller with as much control, and assiginability as the axiom, or novation stuff, SHOULD be out already. i'm really surprised it's not.

I completely agree. I want an 88-key intelligent controller for home-use. I know that Fatar makes the only (what appears to be acceptable) model- the studiologic series.

I'm really surprised that this hasn't been done, and now that computers/software are getting much more reliable, Novation should up the anti.

I'd have no trouble dumping a grand on an intelligent/weighted 88-key controller. It would be a dream for me, as I love using software (and I know I am not the only guy)... and the DAW market must be getting huge now... Plus, with programs like digital ivory, etc., it only makes sense to have a controller like that. Novation have their {censored} together, and I would certainly hope that they would develop a fully weighted 88-key controller. It would only make sense. The design and functionality of the SL series is absolutely fantastic. It's almost a sin that there is no 88-key version.

At the least, the revision of the SL series should certainly see an upgrade in materials used.

Don't get me wrong, I love my controller (I wouldn't of bought it otherwise), but there are certainly some aspects that need to be improved.

Cheers,

Phil

• Members

I would think it was because you can just midi connect a nice weighted board to nice assignable controller of your choosing and I imagine this is what pros do. It would have a market, but probably not enough of one to make it worthwhile for them to manufacture weighted keys.

• Members

what they should do is license yamahas weighted keys, because they make the best IMO.

my CP33 is advertised as a master keyboard controller, but it has features missing in this area. it's great as a main board, and for doodling, but not for full-fledged midi control.

the fatar stuff looks like it's limited, too. i want xy pads, too many knobs, sliders, and full midi implementation, INCLUDING after touch. my CP lacks it!

• Members

Most people doing Va synths bassically I'd say have no use for more then 61 key synths. And they use the transpose buttons when wanting access to 2-3 more octave either direction. Myself sees no useable advantage to a keyboard over 61 keys and likes the size advantages of 49-61 key synths. Theres not enough market to justify making more then 61 key Va synths (which have transpose of course). Most popular size for VA's I'd say was 49 key rather then 61.

• Members

. . . you can just midi connect a nice weighted board to nice assignable controller of your choosing . . .

That's what I'm going to do - MIDI my Fusion 8HD (when it gets here) to my Novation Remote SL 61. Paradise with an ocean view. :)

Incidentally, the new CME UF series (UF50/60/70/80 still only has MIDI OUT. F'em.

• Members

I'd rather have a breath controller input and a flexible arp/step sequencer for control, then it'd have just about everything I'd want short of better build quality. If you want an 88 key controller just stick the SL Zero on top of the 88 key controller. Simple. I suspect Novation did enough research into the 88 key market to conclude the likely size of it, given their more computer based focus, was probably not worth the bother. But at least they gave people a viable work around in the SL Zero.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Electric Puppy- I liked that picture so much I made it my desktop.

I also think there would be a market for 88-key controllers with piano action (i.e. "graded hammer" action)- with piano players, or anyone wanting to learn piano, keep their chops up etc., similar to electric guitarists keeping an acoustic around to make sure they don't go too soft. Yamaha is introducing the KX series which does have an 88-key model with their GHS action, which is their entry-level form of graded hammer action. It looks pretty sweet at first glance, but I noticed it doesn't have aftertouch, which is a pretty cool feature for playing soft-synth winds and brass instruments. I would think aftertouch would be a no-brainer inclusion for a controller that is going to be used to play huge banks of soft-instruments. I guess it's mainly being billed as a DAW controller.

• Members

Want a decent hammer action 88 controller? - buy an alesis fusion 8HD and get a rompler + 3 synths for free
;)

-100000 :cop:

The Fusion 8 has one TERRIBLE key action. It's nowhere near what I would consider acceptable. While I've not demo'd the sounds so can't really comment in that area, the thing is built like {censored} with an action that's comparable to a CME UF8 with half the parts missing.

Archived