I think I'm looking for a Cool Cat Drive, but I think I'm also looking for a TS-9

Unreachable

• Members

I'm in need of a budget friendly overdrive, and I think I've narrowed it down to a Cool Cat Drive and a TS-9. I've watched countless demos of both and I'm still undecided :confused: I'm looking for something for rhythm, yet I can play lead on the fly. Something that has versatility, so I can find different sounds of it instead of setting it and forgetting it. Your opinions or other budget friendly drives?

• Members

iirc, cool cat is quite a lot cheaper than a toobscreamer. If you are using it as a stand alone gain rather than to boost an amp in more OD, i'd probably go the coolcat.

Can the Cool Cat boost an amp? Listening to some demos, it really colours the tone, so it could be a good or bad thing.

• Members

I'm in need of a budget friendly overdrive, ......I'm looking for something for rhythm, yet I can play lead on the fly. Something that has versatility, so I can find different sounds of it instead of setting it and forgetting it......

back in the day, guitars used to have knobs and switches. some foolishly thought that these were for eliciting different sounds out of one's rig, without needing to go to the amp/pedals to turn knobs.

most knew they were only there for ornamentation.

other amateurs and half-wits over the years have believed that simply by using one's hand, and perhaps a pick, one could elicit different sounds out of a rig, without even using a pedal.

• Members

back in the day, guitars used to have knobs and switches. some foolishly thought that these were for eliciting different sounds out of one's rig, without needing to go to the amp/pedals to turn knobs.

most knew they were
only
there for ornamentation.

other amateurs and half-wits over the years have believed that simply by using one's hand, and perhaps a pick, one could elicit different sounds out of a rig, without even using a pedal.

This is the effects forum, so soliciting not using a pedal is hypocritical here. I understand what you're talking about, but my amp's not the best with some overdrive. Sounds really dry and like crap if I turn the volume on my guitar down.

• Members
:confused:
OP asked a totally valid question. Back in the day they also ripped amps apart for distortion so we shouldnt use dirt boxes?

FWIW, I gigged forever with just one dirt box, no boost and just used the knobs on my guitar for everything. While it may be the "cooler" way of doing things I realized that I get better sounds stomping on boxes. I dont always want the cleaner dirt I would get rolling the volume down when the singer sang, and I dont always want a full dirt sound when I solo.

• Members

This is the effects forum, so soliciting not using a pedal is hypocritical here. I understand what you're talking about, but my amp's not the best with some overdrive. Sounds really dry and like crap if I turn the volume on my guitar down.

this is the fx forum, and that seems like a perfectly good place to get across the point that just because pedal X has knobs set to whatever, the pedal is not limited to a single, specific sound only, that simple interplay between guitar's controls, player's technique, and pedal controls can at any point deliver umpteen-jillion sounds. the limitations are almost exclusively on the part of the user.

I'm looking for something for rhythm, yet I can play lead on the fly.

this can be done without extra switches, special knobs, etc on a pedal. refer to my first post, and to some 16 jillion guitarist before you.

Something that has versatility, so I can find different sounds of it instead of setting it and forgetting it.

^

this is mildly baffling.

• Members

this is the fx forum, and that seems like a
perfectly
good place to get across the point that just because pedal X has knobs set to whatever, the pedal is not limited to a
specific sound
only
, that simple interplay between guitar's controls, player's technique, and pedal controls can at
any
point deliver umpteen-jillion sounds.

this can be done without extra switches, special knobs, etc on a pedal. refer to my first post, and to some 16 jillion guitarist before you.

^

this is mildly baffling.

I was asking if either the cool cat drive or ts-9 could cover those grounds from my first post. I wasn't disregarding the fact that I couldn't play around with my guitars controls.

Archived