Where can I host MP3's SIMPLY and WITHOUT ANY BS

Silverburst LP

• Members
hahaha.
:facepalm:

Do you really think you have to put your real phone number down?

I didn't plan on it, but a lot of these sites do crazy cross reference stuff if your address doesn't match your number. Fake or not, it's the principal: {censored} ANYONE ASKING FOR MY PHONE NUMBER JUST TO HOST AN MP3.

Yes, you heard me: {censored} THEM.

• Members

You are mental.

They're providing a free service to you and you feel the urge to scream "{censored} them" when all they ask for is a fake phone number. Keep in mind, they are providing a free service... a service that you are apparently completely unable to provide for yourself.

• Members

Tindeck is the bomb diggity. And I don't even know what that means. But I've used it since it started (my account says "Agreed has been a user since the beginning of time" because I've been on board since before they started counting), and it has always been a kick-ass service except for one month when they switched hosting and the links got nuked for a week. They came back, and it's been steady since. If you like them, buy an account and donate every once in awhile to keep them going, because they make it so, so simple and easy and we want them to still be around for a long time to come.

• Members
You are mental.

They're providing a
free
service to you and you feel the urge to scream "{censored} them" when all they ask for is a fake phone number. Keep in mind, they are providing a
free
service... a service that you are apparently completely unable to provide for yourself.

:rolleyes: Whatever. I don't see you with a free mp3 hosting site. Is it supposed to be some kind of insult that I'm not doing what 5 1/2 billion other people aren't doing: running a website? Ohhh... yeah, got me there. I'm so incapable of making my own website to host my own {censored}... gee, I had to ask some people a question... god, I'm sooooo incapable of life :poke:

I just asked for simplicity, man. Giving out personal info is not simplicity. Getting an error message is not simplicity. Going through a big hassle just to put an audio file online is not simplicity.

And yeah, {censored} them is right. I'm not sitting here going, "oooh, it's free, it must be flawless. How dare I criticize them for trying to put me on a junk mail list and hand out my home phone number to a bunch of telemarketing companies and who knows else? I mean, afterall, it's free, so I HAVE to like it.":facepalm:

The idea here is not that I think some men in black are coming to my door if I give out a number, fake or not. It's the idea that I don't subscribe to bull{censored} websites with bull{censored} hosting and bull{censored} sponsors who wanna {censored} people with a bunch of junk advertising just because they're dumb enough to go, "well, no sense in questioning it. It's free, it's fer me...derp!":wave:

I'll use tindeck. You can use whatever you want.

And to whoever said "what do you think they'll do with your IP address?"

Oh nothing.... beside send me spam cookies, junk email, possibly a worm, their site could get hacked and {censored} could get sent to your computer... nothing too major. Just {censored}ing up your computer is all. It's not like spam, viruses and hackers are some non-existent myth. Sorry man, I'm not comfortable with websites that don't work well telling me they need {censored} that has nothing to do with the service they're provising. It's a privacy and safety right and I refuse to give it out to any douchebag who offers something "free." :idk:

• Members

Tindeck is the bomb diggity. And I don't even know what that means. But I've used it since it started (my account says "Agreed has been a user since the beginning of time" because I've been on board since before they started counting), and it has always been a kick-ass service except for one month when they switched hosting and the links got nuked for a week. They came back, and it's been steady since. If you like them, buy an account and donate every once in awhile to keep them going, because they make it so, so simple and easy and we want them to still be around for a long time to come.

Excellent points. I'll see how it goes and if all's well in a while, I'll definitely look into trying to help them out.

• Members
:lol:

Whatever. Send viruses and spam to logged IP's. That definitely sounds like a possibility
:facepalm:

It's so he can ban people who abuse his service by blocking their IP address. Most people are smart enough to get a different IP address, but regardless... It is incredibly easy to pull an IP Address.

I know what it's FOR, but it's also about what openings it leaves.

It's incredibly easy to get mugged, as well, that doesn't mean I walk around NYC with 20's hanging out of my pockets.

And if you think IP addy can't be connected to viruses and spam... well.... Okeedokeethen. :wave:

• Members

Silverburst LP, you do know that whether they tell you they're logging your address or not, your IP address is completely known to every web site you visit... The only reason a hosting service makes a point of saying they're logging it is because it might discourage people from hosting copyrighted materials that cause headaches for them.

Harmony Central is logging the crap out of your IP as we speak.

To send anything to your computer (like a web page, for example), they have to know where your computer is. Ergo your IP address is provided with every data transaction. Unless you are always behind a proxy, your IP address is no secret at all and the fact that one site happens to tell you that they know it isn't some special cause for concern.

• Members

If you really are that concerned about privacy, there are browser addons for most non-IE browsers that allow you to configure your browser to automatically surf through a chosen proxy. The proxy still knows everything about you, so don't think you've got carte blanche to warez all the cool new programs or whatever, but it would allow you to keep your IP address secret.

However I would caution - and I really don't intend any offense here - that your understanding of the significance of an IP address and what web sites can do with it isn't really accurate, so you might consider looking into computer security more thoroughly before you settle on something like browsing via a proxy all the time.

• Members

I just went to tindeck.com to check it out and I noticed a couple lists of popular files on the home page. Just wondering, when you upload a song or a clip there, is it public for anyone to listen to?

I'd like to be able to upload a song and be able to post a link for it here on the forum, but not necessarily have anything I have on tindeck be open to the public. Or is that just the way it works?

• Members

Not only is everything open to the public - just how it is style - but everything hosted to Tindeck is released under the Creative Commons license. Consider that before posting things because it does matter a lot, especially if you will be posting anything you intend to reserve rights for. Creative Commons does not allow people to pass your work off as theirs, but it does allow people (provided full credit is given) to use your work in new creative works. For example, anyone could use any of the demo clips I post on my blog in a song, either as samples or the whole things. I understand and approve of that, it's one of my favorite things about the site because it encourages a very communal, free-flowing environment of creativity and sharing. But, a place like SoundClick is a better fit for you if you intend to commercialize what you'll be hosting and retain all rights.

Archived