Wire just fell out my muff.

Neon Soul

• Members
{censored} like that only happens to behringers. US-made pedals FTMFW.

Bull{censored}. :mad: I had to fix a friend's made-in-USA vintage muff back in the day. A wire broke off one of the jacks. Here's what got me - it was solid wire, not stranded wire. You'd never want to use solid wire in something that's subject to rough handling like an effect pedal. The only possible reason EHX did it this way is 'cause they were being cheap.

Big muffs sound great, but the build quality, at least on the vintage ones, is crummy by today's standards. The PCB is hanging off the pot leads... :facepalm: No wonder the original EHX went broke.

If you have the skills to "modify the tone stack" then certainly you can trace the circuit and find out where the output is, right? :poke:

• Members
Bull{censored}.
:mad:
I had to fix a friend's made-in-USA vintage muff back in the day. A wire broke off one of the jacks. Here's what got me - it was solid wire, not stranded wire. You'd never want to use solid wire in something that's subject to rough handling like an effect pedal. The only possible reason EHX did it this way is 'cause they were being cheap.

Big muffs sound great, but the build quality, at least on the vintage ones, is crummy by today's standards. The PCB is hanging off the pot leads...
:facepalm:
No wonder the original EHX went broke.

If you have the skills to "modify the tone stack" then certainly you can trace the circuit and find out where the output is, right? :poke:

You can use solid core wire in a pedal no problem. You just have to plan well and not need to move the wres around much later on. The vibrations a pedal is subject to are unlikely to break a solid wire. Its more likely that the construction quality on old EHX pedals was sub par and a poor solder joint is to blame.

• Members

Yeah I thought it was there, just making sure.

I got that soldered back on, then did the mod.

Went to put it back together, two more freakin wires break off, the navy blue one to the output jack and a black one coming from the switch which I can't find a place for yet.

Anyone got any good gut shots?

• Members

Another wire came loose from the output jack? From which lug (the hot/tip or ground/sleeve)? The connection I mentioned - from the wiper of the volume pot - is the output from the circuit, and should go to the switch. From the switch, there should be a wire hooked up to the tip of the output jack. If there's a wire straight from the board to the output jack, it's most likely a ground wire.

Here's a pdf from bettycat's site explaining how to TB a NYC Big Muff. You should be able to get some info from it. Failing that, posting a couple of clear pictures of the insides of your pedal might also help.

/Andreas

Archived