P90 or single coil for middle position pickup?

petejt

• Members

See my thread in the Amp Forum to know why I want a middle position pickup.....:idea: , it's a story of luuuuuuurrrrvvvvvve! :love:

I'd love to have a single coil to mix with the neck or bridge pickups, just like a 5-way pickup selector on a Fender Stratocaster. And yes I'll be adding a 5-way selector switch.

But I am interested too in the P90 as an alternative. I haven't used P90 pickups before but I reckon it'd be cool to try something different. I am already able to split my humbuckers for single coil sounds, so kinda already have 'single coil' covered.

What do you suggest?

• Members

I'd activate/deactivate the middle pickup using a push-pull, but YMMV.

I guess you'll be using that ESP Les Paul, right? You won't ever get that glassy twangy tone out of it and I guess a P90 would sound way too fat either way. Those could be worth looking into: http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprlifistc.html

They might work well for that glassy crunch and they look friggin' cool IMHO.

• Members

I'd activate/deactivate the middle pickup using a push-pull, but YMMV.

I guess you'll be using that ESP Les Paul, right? You won't ever get that glassy twangy tone out of it and I guess a P90 would sound way too fat either way. Those could be worth looking into:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprlifistc.html

They might work well for that glassy crunch and they look friggin' cool IMHO.

Thanks for the advice on the P90. I was wondering if it'd be too fat-sounding for that glassy twang as you described it, but thought it wouldn't matter too much if I use it with a coil-split neck pickup or bridge.

The bridge pickup in the Strat I used is a humbucker- literally looks like the same two single coils but put next to each other. I'd ask my housemate but he's busy fixing my wireless internet up.

Are there any single coil pickups that just LOOK like a P90?

I'll check that link you posted, seems interesting.. cheers mate! :thu:

Archived