Holding KSS accountable

• Members

I recently had an epiphany (thanks Doc), that the main purpose of this forum is not for the interchange of synth tips and comraderie.

No, the True Purpose of KSS is solely that we may give each other GAS.

DocT's Evolver demos are directly responsible for the purchase of my own PEK, general excitement here over the Virus TI last year led to my own Virus TI, and good reviews here about the ReMote SL made me decide to replace my venerable KX88 with one. On top of that, I upgraded my PC so that I could run Sonar trouble-free, bought a larger audio interface, new monitors, etc, etc, so I could actually start recording stuff instead of just screwing around.

What do I plan to do with my recordings? Induce GAS in the rest of you. :D

What acquisitions do the rest of you hold KSS responsible for?

• Members

I recently had an epiphany (thanks Doc), that the main purpose of this forum is
not
for the interchange of synth tips and comraderie.

No, the True Purpose of KSS is solely that we may give each other GAS.

DocT's Evolver demos are directly responsible for the purchase of my own PEK, general excitement here over the Virus TI last year led to my own Virus TI, and good reviews here about the ReMote SL made me decide to replace my venerable KX88 with one. On top of that, I upgraded my PC so that I could run Sonar trouble-free, bought a larger audio interface, new monitors, etc, etc, so I could actually start recording stuff instead of just screwing around.

What do I plan to do with my recordings? Induce GAS in the rest of you.
:D

I find most of the " gear whoring ' here to be counter intuitive. The majority of folks Buying and selling new stuff in less than a year proves that it was a dumb buy

Thus, this forum is an opposite indicator on what gear to buy. In most cases

• Members

GAS is a byproduct of learning about all the various synths - what does what - what sounds like what, etc.

And I have bought stuff based on everyone's liking of a product. I bought a Roland JD-990 about a year ago, and sold it after 2 months. I know a lot of people really like that synth, but it wasn't my type of sound. Did the same thing with an Electribe EA-1mkII.

Got an Akai AX73 a few months ago based on threads on the AX60. I really do like it however - no plans to sell.

• Members

The majority of folks Buying and selling new stuff in less than a year proves that it was a dumb buy

I dunno, I think that most times the rapid buy/sell involves used gear, so it's not like any value was lost, and sometimes you don't really know if you like something until you've spent serious time with it, and not just an hour at GC.

• Members

I'm actually getting pretty sick of all the gear worship. That recent thread about the H3000 nearly made me want to puke. The longer I do this, the more I understand that it's all about making an emotional connection with an audience. Anything else is geekdom. There's a time and a place for geekdom, and I still enjoy looking at and learning about equipment, both new and old. But try to keep it in perspective, peeps. The tools you have at your disposal just don't matter as much as what you do with them.

Oh, wait, is that a Forbidden Topic??? Sorry.

P.S. I am not ADSR!!!!

• Members

Oh, the H3000 is still reasonable and actually pretty cool if you're into the programmable effects (which is its own kind of coolness). But that's the nice part - unlike a 3-knob reverb you can actually do something with an H3000. I drunk this particular bit of Kool-Aid after hearing a CS80 through one. Awesome :).

Endless talking about +$10,000 A/D converters is a lot worse ;).

Accountable is a big term. Everything eventually was OK'd by me, myself and I, so there's only one person to blame.

The best and most sensible discussions were like the moving the horizons and borders way, way further; unlocking new levels, so to say - showing me where I dwelt and how small it was compared to the rest of the planet.

There's just so much room for experiments of any kind; all it takes, like travelling, is the first step, and good shoes help a lot, too. Which to me are:

- a computer that does not get in the way

- software that does not get in the way

- speakers that let you listen to what you do in detail

- a controller keyboard that feels pleasant

- whatever you want for the rest

In other words, stuff that feels good, is true in what it does, and inspires you.

edit: constrained art is an interesting exercise, constrained thinking isn't.

• Members

None.

My choices were mostly made on my own inquisitiveness or popularity within the industry. By KSS standards, I would say that I am largely against the grain here.

These I purchased based on industry popularity....

Access Virus C

Nord Lead 2X

Yamaha Motif

Roland JV-1080

Roland Juno 106

Roland JP-8000

Moog Voyager RME

These, because I was curious...

Kawai K5000S & R

Roland V-Synth

Roland Jupiter 6

Yamaha DX7IIFD

Korg MS2000

Clavia G2X & G2Rack

DSI Polyevolver keyboard

These out of blind loyalty. :D

Roland MC-505

Roland MC-909

DSI Prophet 08 SE

• Members

oh yeah? I think you ARE ADSR. Um...wait a minute, maybe not.

Hey Mike, it was fun meeting up with you. Thanks for buying me that beer and trading cd's. I like your sound. PDX is sure weird with the snow and hailstorms today...

I'm actually getting pretty sick of all the gear worship.

P.S. I am not ADSR!!!!

• Members

KSS is at least partially responsible for my getting an Ensoniq Fizmo and now an Alesis Fusion. Thanks to carbon111, pighood, U&I, aeon, and all the other great people here. I have learned a LOT, not just about synthesis, but on a lot of keyboard-related subjects.

And now in turn I will pass along my motley wisdom: get Pianoteq! It's a no-brainer. . . Also, at the moment, unless you're totally dedicated to another DAW, Logic & Logic Express are pretty much no-brainers too (Sonar for the PC folks). As is any permutation of the Remote SL's. Just my 2 cents. :)

• Members

KSS is responsible for me getting Reaktor and Absynth, that's about it though. That is a big deal, however, as I would have never given software a second look a few years ago :)

My hardware purchases have been based on my own experiences with the products in question...

• Members

I dunno, I think that most times the rapid buy/sell involves used gear, so it's not like any value was lost, and sometimes you don't really know if you like something until you've spent serious time with it, and not just an hour at GC.

I am not a 17 synthesizer gear 'ho like some. Plus some folks are on a silly gear merry go round.

I suppose KSS serves a compulsive need for those folks.

I can understand newbies cycling thru, in a year, the entry level stuff that Yamaha , Korg and Roland peddles. And needing KSS to get thru that process.

If listened to the 'experts' here, I would have never bought the M3M.

I have 3 keyboards (XS, Extreme, Rd700sx), the M3M, Mackie mixer, and Event ASP8's. This is stuff I can see keeping for 3 years or longer.

KSS did not provide any particular information that pushed my decision through.

To each his/her own

• Members

I am not a 17 synthesizer gear 'ho like some.

Me neither - I only have 16. :freak:

I guess after playing guitar and bass in bands for several years, I realized synths were more fun for home studios. I still play bass and guitar. In fact I'm sitting in on bass tomorrow for a blue grass band. Unfortunately, no one ever wants me for my keyboard chops.

• Members

During the "gear acquiring" phase of things, KSS can be a good place to go to get some opinions of things, especially things unavailable in the stores near you (since most stores are interested in pushing cheap Indian-made guitars to eager rock stars). The Evolver demos did lead to me getting a Polyevolver rack.

For my purposes, I've found better information on software (the big reason for the revamp) elsewhere. Forget information here on song composition as a whole. A lot of my hardware synths I've had for a *long* time (A6 for 7 years, Pulse Plus for about the same amount of time, a D-50 for, yikes, it's got to be about 13 or 14 years for that one...), and I really haven't done a whole lot of selling and buying of hardware synths lately...

• Members

there's only one synth in the last... about 7 years... that gave me some kind of GAS... Motif XS... i couldn't care less about all the other new crap on the market...

curious to hear new Fantom G (rack) tho

Archived