Do I need a muff?

surfcat

• Members

Here's the deal-I like the sound-it's better than my Dod Classic Fuzz, which is supposed to be similar, but I don't use that pedal, mostly because I like using overdrive/distortions with an already overdriven amp. I don't think a muff is suited for that. I can see me buying one and liking it but not having it on my board for that reason. I have a fuzzface and a Rat (2 actually). Is it useful at all if your amp's not set clean?

• Members

Yes, muffs are useful into a dirty amp. What kind of amp are you using? Muff > overdriven Marshall = :love:

It does depend on your preferred flavor of fuzz, though. Personally, I dig muffs over fuzz faces so if you're happy with the fuzz face you might just leave it alone. But considering that a used NYC RI is $50, I think it'd be worth giving it a shot to see if you like it.

• Members

Here's the deal-I like the sound-it's better than my Dod Classic Fuzz, which is supposed to be similar, but I don't use that pedal, mostly because I like using overdrive/distortions with an already overdriven amp. I don't think a muff is suited for that. I can see me buying one and liking it but not having it on my board for that reason. I have a fuzzface and a Rat (2 actually). Is it useful at all if your amp's not set clean?

Have you ever tried a muff?

• Members

Yes, muffs are useful into a dirty amp. What kind of amp are you using? Muff > overdriven Marshall =
:love:

It does depend on your preferred flavor of fuzz, though. Personally, I dig muffs over fuzz faces so if you're happy with the fuzz face you might just leave it alone. But considering that a used NYC RI is $50, I think it'd be worth giving it a shot to see if you like it.

I'm using a Traynor Ycv40wr and a Jcm800 combo. I'm not totally happy with fuzzfaces, since they really like single coils-fine sometimes but they don't do well with hb's.

I've tried a muff once, and like I said, I liked it-an Nyc USA one. I really like the GMD vid with the Ram's Head muff. Anyone got a Ram's head they'll trade for a Dod Classic Fuzz?:poke:

• Members

If you want a rams head muff. Send Matt at stompunderfoot a message, and ask him if he can make you a rams head clone. their pretty damn close, and aren't insanely priced.

Thanks for reminding me-I've been to that site before. That might be what I do when I get some money available for more toys.

• Members

If you already have a fuzzface then that should suit you better going into a dirty amp.

On a side note, how do you like the extension cab with your Traynor (is it the Traynor one?)? Does it fatten things up?

I hear what you're saying about the fuzzface but isn't it a different kind of sound?

Archived