Temperature and Tone

• Members

I've been anxiously awaiting for the turn of Fall in Orlando after a long, hot and humid summer. Well, Fall has arrived. Yesterday was in the mid 70s, and it's now 55 degrees outside and in my house. :love: I don't turn on the heat until I absolutely can't stand it anymore.

But today is a reminder of just how drastically temperature affects musical instruments and electronics.

My Memory Boy has a shortened delay time range today. So I guess temperature is affecting the components, much like it does with Germanium transistors? :confused:

My guitar strings sound icy and brittle. The HOG really sounds like {censored} today :cry: I can't get the same warm and syrupy thick tones I got from it yesterday. Instead, I get these high-pitched metallic overtones that make my skin crawl. When my gear is warm, it sounds heavenly.

So what's my point?

When searching for the perfect tone and critiquing gear, temperature is the variable we often overlook, yet it's impact is tremendous. Before you decide that something is crap, try it in the sultry heat of Florida and YMMV ;)

• Members

did the Memory Boy warm up and get the full 550ms eventually?

No, it didn't. I had it on for about 30 minutes, and the delay time still maxxed out around 400 ms. Normally I get more than that.

I wouldn't replace DMM, but I love having a Memory Boy in addition to the DMM. :thu: Despite the inconsistency, it's a marvelous pedal.

• Members

No, it didn't. I had it on for about 30 minutes, and the delay time still maxxed out around 400 ms. Normally I get more than that.

I wouldn't replace DMM, but I love having a Memory Boy in addition to the DMM.
:thu:
Despite the inconsistency, it's a marvelous pedal.

hmmmm......I just picked up the MB on Friday and am loving it...the fact that it doesn't have the ugly overload problem with humbuckers alone is making me giddy! The modulation is fantastic, so much fun! The sound quality of the repeats isn't as smooth as the DMM, but that is a small complaint when all of the factors are considered. Money is very tight these days so I'm considering selling the DMM...not sure though, could be a honeymoon thing.

• Members

My Memory Boy has a shortened delay time range today. So I guess temperature is affecting the components, much like it does with Germanium transistors? :confused:at something is crap, try it in the sultry heat of Florida and YMMV
;)

with the memory boy everyone was talking about the voltage but I thought it did almost seem temperature related... interesting that you bring that up...

• Members

hmmmm......I just picked up the MB on Friday and am loving it...the fact that it doesn't have the ugly overload problem with humbuckers alone is making me giddy! The modulation is fantastic, so much fun! The sound quality of the repeats isn't as smooth as the DMM, but that is a small complaint when all of the factors are considered. Money is very tight these days so I'm considering selling the DMM...not sure though, could be a honeymoon thing.

it does handle hot signals pretty well

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So the lowering temps are affecting my gear again :mad:

First of all, my Memory Boy has less delay time now that it's cold in the house. This is no joke. The components in it must be temp sensitive.

Also, my Octave Multiplexer treadle is on the fritz ever since the temp dropped.

My VibroChamp is also having issues.

AAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Thank heavens I'm not actually gigging with this stuff.

• Members

idk.. i guess im just used to the cold. i usually have to haul my gear to my basment in the winter and i have played some gigs where the temp outside was in the negatives. last january/feburary we had a 2 or 3 gigs really close to each other and the temperature was defintily in the negatives. it absolutley sucked. on the gear and especially on me and my drummer... idk if it has anything to do with the temp but my OM has been supringly good since i left in the the cold basement.. i usually take everything up but the tracking has been better :idk:

• Members

Well, that's true, and I have a bid on a house right now.

But I live in Orlando where the temperature is relatively stable to other parts of the world.

It just amazes me how sensitive electronics are to temperature changes.

it's currently 20 degrees F here... :mad:

• Members

Yep, that sucks. About half of my gear would quit working at that temp.

yeah, we had to turn the heat on...

luckily, my gear room is in the same room as the furnace in the basement, so it stays pretty warm. We have our thermostat set on a balmy 64 too so that helps.

• Members

temp affects everything. Strings on the guitar sound more sterile and dont' bend as easy; intonation goes out, tuning instability issues start up. Lately I've had to adjust my intonation several times a month for some reason. I've lubed up the nut, stretched the strings out, stabilized the trem and it still keeps going sharp. Also made sure the neck was bolted on tight. It's a pain. If anybody has any other ideas let me know. It's a Strat...

Archived