The Official BAUHAUS Effects Use Lounge

• Members

It's that time of year when I become obsessed with BAUHAUS and Edward Gorey. I've loved both since I was a kid for all the same reasons I love stuff like creepy old silent films, Edgar Allan Poe, and Edward Munch.

So to kick things off, I'll post the entire Sky's Gone Out album. Lots of delay and flanger throughout it.

1. Third Uncle

2. Silent Hedges

3. In The Night

4. Swing The Heartache

5. Spirit

6. The Three Shadows pt.1

7. The Three Shadows pt.2

8. The Three Shadows pt.3

9. All We Ever Wanted Was Everything

10. Exquisite Corpse

bauhaus

hqdefault.jpg

orig-7650201.jpg

• Members

To be honest trying to do the Flanger bit in "Third Uncle" is what made me realise my Stereo Mistress bizarrely kills Sustain... hopefully I'll sell it and maybe get the Deluxe one.

What Flanger did he use? Probably nothing too fancy but I could be wrong.

I REALLY want to get a dirt box that does the sound of his HH Amp. It produces this crazy clangy sound which turns to fuzz on some settings(you hear this especially on the old albums - his modern Bauhaus tone is more of a clangy Fendery kinda overdrive than Fuzz). Someone suggested the Red Llama/Hand Mule but I dunno.

It seems that a Fender amp, or in my case a model of a Fender Amp can you get you a lot of the way. My Lunchbox which is quite Fendery does pretty well too -

http://www.box.net/shared/kk84nboyvr

but it's a little too low gain with a Tele and the EQ is kinda wrong. That micing killed a lot of the higher mids and treble for some reason too.

It's not so much wanting the nail the exact tone, it's getting that crazy clangy quality. In the live stuff from 98 and 2005, his tone is less harsh too and more full, it sounds really great. He seems to get that tone even when he's not using a Tele(though a Tele really helps). Ash seems to really like the HH Amp for this reason.

Would it be possible to copy the schematic of the HH amp and make it into a dirt box?

• Members

What Flanger did he use? Probably nothing too fancy but I could be wrong.

Would it be possible to copy the schematic of the HH amp and make it into a dirt box?

I've thought about this but haven't found a schematic yet. It would appeal to the Marc Bolan fans out there as well.

I think the flanging in Third Uncle is probably a studio effect.

• Members

Did it have some sort of 'vari-speed' built into it? I know the heads are fixed on those, it's sounds like they are slowing it down and speeding it up. I don't remember a Copicat model that could do that.

Daniel said in an interview he would slow the tape down with his fingers sometime. They may have used something else on the record, but that's what he used live.

• Members

Daniel said in an interview he would slow the tape down with his fingers sometime. They may have used something else on the record, but that's what he used live.

Yeah, he replaced the unit with a Digital delay. I honestly wouldn't worry about getting the delay he used for that reason, instead try and find something that models it with a shorter delay time.

• Members

Yeah, he replaced the unit with a Digital delay. I honestly wouldn't worry about getting the delay he used for that reason, instead try and find something that models it with a shorter delay time.

It's sort of hard to do without a multi playback head echo unit. At first I thought it was a Binson but there's that 'vari-speed' thing going on that sounds like tape.

• Members

It's sort of hard to do without a multi playback head echo unit. At first I thought it was a Binson but there's that 'vari-speed' thing going on that sounds like tape.

A Space Echo would probably be a more practical way to that sound since it does have variable speed and three playback heads.

Archived