does boss make the only acoustic simulator on the market?

acousticDave

• Members

Ok I'll bite.

You're playing a song with an electric guitar, but you need an acoustic guitar sound for a certain part, no time to swap physical guitars so you just want something the audience will recognize as acoustic sounding.

This coming from someone who'd rather mic an acoustic than use a pickup because it sounds better. But sometimes you need to emulate something, and it doesn't have to be perfect, just passable.

• Members

Ok I'll bite.

You're playing a song with an electric guitar, but you need an acoustic guitar sound for a certain part, no time to swap physical guitars so you just want something the audience will recognize as acoustic sounding.

This coming from someone who'd rather mic an acoustic than use a pickup because it sounds better. But sometimes you need to emulate something, and it doesn't have to be perfect, just passable.

But this makes no sense to me....when recording you can record the part using a real acoustic....and when you perform the song live you do it electric, that 'certain part' doesn't have to be acoustic live. When Sugar played 'if I can't change your mind' (which is acoustic guitars on the album) Bob just played it electric live...imo a live song doesn't be just like the recording........ it just seems like a pointless execise to me. :idk:

• Members

But this makes no sense to me....when recording you can record the part using a real acoustic....and when you perform the song live you do it electric, that 'certain part' doesn't have to be acoustic live. When Sugar played 'if I can't change your mind' (which is acoustic guitars on the album) Bob just played it electric live...imo a live song doesn't be just like the recording........ it just seems like a pointless execise to me.
:idk:

Yea, the same could be said for any effect/tone you use ever.

• Members

I had the Boss sim for a bit. It came in handy in a pinch but didn't sound that great. From what I've heard the Rockman didn't sound much better. Definitely worth trying before buying. The Behringer is probably a clone of the Boss unit.

For what it's worth, an EQ pedal just doesn't have the filters dialed in like an acoustic sim does.

• Members

please explain to me how this is a cool idea or something to be excited about. ok, make yr guitar sound like an ACOUSTIC guitar. how is that NOT dumb as hell?

the only reason an acoustic simulator is considered a dumb effect is because it hasn't been executed well. if an acoustic simulator worked well, i'm sure it'd be an invaluable tool to a lot of cover bands who need it for one small bit of their set or whatever. saying "it makes your guitar sound like a guitar" is retarded as well. all the dudes trying to use boost and eq to beef up their single coils to sound like a les paul must be dumb too right? just making their strats sound like guitars right?

Archived