another Vox AC4 thread

C Fuzz

• Members

Stopped into a music store to buy strings (11-50) and noticed they had a bunch of those Vox AC4TV whatever amps you all rage about. I get a Made in Mexico single coil pickup Tele and plug in.

1. It only has 1 tone knob that is completely worthless.. muddy to a little less muddy.

2. 4 watt mode sounded so bad clean I didn't bother trying to get it to break up (didn't want to tortue the others there.

3. The 1/4 watt mode was the only sorta cool thing but the Blackheart Killer Ant sounds WAAAYY better.

..So this is a 4 watt tube amp combo with a 10" (or 8", I forget) speaker with a {censored} tone knob for $250.

OR.. BH Little Giant 5 watt tube combo with excellent bass middle and treble eq knobs and a 12" speaker for the same price.

The answer is obvious.. Blackheart wins. Even the Epiphone Valve Jr. head is voiced better than the Vox and it has no tone knob.

This is all just my opinion, obviously.

• Members

Stopped into a music store to buy strings (11-50) and noticed they had a bunch of those Vox AC4TV whatever amps you all rage about. I get a Made in Mexico single coil pickup Tele and plug in.

1. It only has 1 tone knob that is completely worthless.. muddy to a little less muddy.

2. 4 watt mode sounded so bad clean I didn't bother trying to get it to break up (didn't want to tortue the others there.

3. The 1/4 watt mode was the only sorta cool thing but the Blackheart Killer Ant sounds WAAAYY better.

..So this is a 4 watt tube amp combo with a 10" (or 8", I forget) speaker with a {censored} tone knob for $250.

OR.. BH Little Giant 5 watt tube combo with excellent bass middle and treble eq knobs and a 12" speaker for the same price.

The answer is obvious.. Blackheart wins. Even the Epiphone Valve Jr. head is voiced better than the Vox and it has no tone knob.

so many things wrong with what you are saying... but i respect your opinion. i will say that those BH little giants are pretty cool (in the 1 demo i listented to) all im saying it you must not have given the ac4 a good try. or it was just a really {censored}ty one.

• Members

so many things wrong with what you are saying... but i respect your opinion. i will say that those BH little giants are pretty cool (in the 1 demo i listented to) all im saying it you must not have given the ac4 a good try. or it was just a really {censored}ty one.

Well I forgot to mention the hum and static coming out was unbelievabe, maybe do to the fact that there was like 20 amps around it all plugged in. It was hard to concentrate.

• Members

This is disappointing to hear. Maybe the head/cab combo would be better. Sounds like your listening environment and the AC was less than stellar though.

yeha the head cab version is way better then the combo... the combos are farty and just dont cut it. the cabs are kinda farty as well but i feel that the build quality is a little better. plus you have some more options with the head!

• Members

Yeah I have to disagree with just about everything, unless you were playing the 8" version....which I hear is nowhere near as good.

I mean, if you somehow think the Valve Jr sounds better...your opinion is pretty much invalid.

haha this. no offense man but IMO the valve jr sucks compared to the ac4. i just couldnt find any sounds i liked out of that little guy

• Members

I've noticed the tone knob is more of a presence knob until the volume is up around 1/2 way. I love mine, but I have the head/cab version, which may be why.

I also noticed it sounded better after breaking in a bit.

I love my head/cab. Loud as all get out. No toy to be shure!:thu:

• Members

Valve Jr, what a {censored}ing joke. My friend has one and he is using my Electar tube 10( a few mods into a 2/12 cab) instead of the Epi.

When I first got my AC4TV head I really didn't like it until about a half and hour

or so as the tubes were finally getting warm. I have a Valve Jr 1/12 cab for the Vox and have to say I am very pleased. Different strokes but you have very strong opinions, ouch

• Members

:love:

I thought I was the only one

• Members

Did you let it warm up a bit?

Also, mexican fender pickups are {censored}. just sayin.

Archived