Cheap FuzzFace clones?

blingdogg

• Members

So are there any cheap fuzzface clones out there?

I'm looking at the MXR Classic Fuzz, which I heard is a fuzz-face type pedal, and it sounds great from the demos (don't have the luck to be able to try it out...), but I'm wondering if there's any pedals cheaper out there. I'm a poor, poor man.

I have a USA Big Muff PI. But I've had it for over six months now, and I've barely touched it (I put it up for sale locally). It's either too bassy or raspy for my tastes. I like a more jangly tone that can clean up nicely, like Hendrix with a fuzz face. I have a EHX Double Muff, and its chimey sound is what I'm looking for. Just more fuzzy.

• Members

So are there any cheap fuzzface clones out there?

I'm looking at the MXR Classic Fuzz, which I heard is a fuzz-face type pedal, and it sounds great from the demos (
don't have the luck to be able to try it out...)
, but I'm wondering if there's any pedals cheaper out there. I'm a poor, poor man.

I have a USA Big Muff PI. But I've had it for over six months now, and I've barely touched it (I put it up for sale locally). It's either too bassy or raspy for my tastes. I like a more jangly tone that can clean up nicely, like Hendrix with a fuzz face. I have a EHX Double Muff, and its chimey sound is what I'm looking for. Just more fuzzy.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a store with a MXR Classic Fuzz in stock in Edmonton to try it out. I tried one at Avenue guitars, but Mother's Music and Long&McQuade should stock them too.

• Members

A GGG kit goes for about $55 + ship but you have to put it together.

Here's a link to the GGG kit (been thinking of building one myself): (linky)

Note, however, that this kit uses silicon transistors. If you want to go "Olde School" you'll need to source your own germanium transistors from Small Bear. Their prices range from $11 to $25.

BYOC also sells a Fuzz Face kit that includes matched germanium transistors, but it's pricey @ $95 (linky).

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll try out your suggestions. If not, maybe I'll stick with my Double Muff, since it does pretty much exactly what I'm looking for lol. And I love that thing. I think right now I'm just looking for a way to spend money...not sure I really need another pedal. I'll decide what to do after I sell the Big Muff.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a store with a MXR Classic Fuzz in stock in Edmonton to try it out. I tried one at Avenue guitars, but Mother's Music and Long&McQuade should stock them too.

I must've gone at a bad time. I tried Long & McQuade and Avenue Guitars about two weeks ago and they were sold out. Forgot to check Mother's Music though. I could try again some day this week.

Archived