What are some good analog delay pedals?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Delay is the only effect that I like enough to want to spend money on. So far I've tried the Danelectro PB&J, the Zoom A2, and the Ibanez DE-7. So far the Danelectro is easily my favorite. The reason I like it better is it has a warmer tone and it is more echo-ish than the other two.

I read that analog delays are warmer and tend to have a more natural sounding echo (a plus to an acoustic player). What are some good analog pedals under $200? I can go above $200 if the pedal is really worth it. Being able to run on batteries is a plus.

So far I see there is the MXR Carbon Copy, the BBE Two Timer, the Behringer VD400, and the Ibanez AD-9.

I am an acoustic player, and there are two main ways I use delay pedals. The first way is I have a slight echo in the mix the guitar the plugged in tone a little more of a three dimensional sound. The other way I like to use them is to turn up the echo and decrease the volume on the guitar, imitating the sound from a distance.

• Members

Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man

Ibanez AD-202 (rack unit)

USED.

they would be worth the power outlet.

plus you could run them 100% wet from a mixing board to use if you wanted to put it on a recording. plus the slight modulation that works well for acoustic.

• Members

It's not analog, but the Danelectro Dan-Echo is pretty good sounding and not expensive. Has a good analog vibe.

Classic analog pedals like the AD-9 are good for short delays. The Maxon AD-900 can do longer delays and is really great, but can be pricey.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, the cheap Daphon analog delay can be modded into something nice.

I would not recommend the BBE Two Timer. I tried out a friend's one time and it was really hard to get it dialed to a good sound, and the footswitchable delay times seemed superfluous to me. It would also start feedback oscillating almost instantly if you turned up the feedback even a little bit. Also, it didn't have a very good "vibe" to the sound. Not enough mojo.

• Members

Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man

Ibanez AD-202 (rack unit)

USED.

they would be worth the power outlet.

plus you could run them 100% wet from a mixing board to use if you wanted to put it on a recording. plus the slight modulation that works well for acoustic.

How can you be in before the DMM, and then bring the DMM? You are the DMM. It's like Schrodinger's pedal or something.

• Members

It'll be very useful for the pedal to run on batteries. My amp is a Crate TX50, which has a built-in battery, allowing me to play anywhere and not worry about finding a power outlet. I would like a pedal that I can use with this set-up.

Running delays on batteries is very tricky in my experience, they take up a lot of juice and can drain them in 1 set.

Archived