The guitar cord hustle

Kassanova

• Members
I used to work for Monster Cable...

Do more expensive cables sound better? Yes, sometimes.

Are they worth the price? No.

When I worked for Monster we could buy a $100 12ft Studio Pro 1000 cable for about $10...and that STILL was a significant markup above cost. Do they sound nice...yes, but not $100 worth of nice. If I had to pay more than $20 or $30 for them, I wouldn't buy them.

I can make a cable that sounds better and uses better quality tip ends for about $10-$15...and I do.
:)

1) Some people feel Monster's lifetime warranty is worth the extra cost
2) Do you have a website for the cables that you build?

• Members

2) Do you have a website for the cables that you build?

Planet Waves have a lifetime warranty too.

... I have a peavy cable that I've had since the early 90's ... in my experience decent cables don't really 'break' anyway.

• Members

I got some mogami cables because I was tired of fixing my crappy cables every few months.

I've been happy with them. The warranty sold me to be honest. I also noticed better sound quality, of course around that time I also redid my board and there is more true-bypass happening now. Take it as you will.

• Members

So what do you use to make your own cables?

(question extended to everyone else too)

Well, almost every electronic or audio supply company can sell you bulk cable.

Whirlwind WMKPVC (built by Belden) is very inexpensive, and very durable, as is cable by Mogami, Canare.

Neutrik makes in my opinion the best 1/4" ends, but Switchcraft also makes excellent plugs.

Get a 30 watt soldering iron, pliers, wire strippers, and your pretty much set.

• Members

1) Lots of cables come with a lifetime warranty (Whirlwind, et al), and most don't charge anywhere near as much as Monster does.

2) A lifetime warranty is worthless when you are in the middle of a gig or a studio session. I'd rather just have a cable that sounds good and doesn't fail.

• Members

I don't have any experience with expensive cables, however, I can tell you that there was a noticeable difference in my single Fulltone Cable and no name cables from Guitar Center.

The cable was louder and there was a lot more meat to the sound. It is really noticeable with distortion.

• Members

Personally I prefer Planet Waves cables, but I do know people who purchase Monster for the lifetime warranty and because they feel those cables are superior for whatever odd reason. Anything with Monster or Mogami on the package and they purchase it.

yeah, planet waves are really good, I have 2 and they have been excellent.

I wouldn't even think about spending more, I can't see the point.

• Members

I notice better frequency response with high end cables, like Canare GS-6, for example. However, I think Monster Cables suck. I found they try to shape the frequencies being passed, rather than trying to preserve them. I personally would rather do this by my own tweaking on the pedals/amp/guitar.

• Members

I use planet waves for long distances (guitar->pedals, pedals->amp) and Klotz patchcables and especially with the patch cables, I could hear a notable tone-increase after I switched to gold plated Klotz.

Planet Waves have a lifetime warranty too which came in handy after one of their high end cables died on me. The distributor immediately gave me a new one.

• Members

I'm a reliability/durability guy. Nothing worse than a crackly cord during the sound check, or worse, during a set. I have had excellent results from all Lava products.
I liked the Bullet coil, but, it too, gave out after many sets.
Spares a must on a gig, of course.
The sound thing is probably bigger factor in studio/recording applications.

• Members

Bull.

Stop relying on sales literature and read an engineering or physics text. An entry-level AC Circuits book will show you why this is a bunch of marketing hooey.

Okay.

I mean, I wasn't asserting that this stuff was absolute truth, but it just appeared to be true based on what I had read from various sources.

Again, you're probably right, and at least we can agree on the fact that more capacitance, which comes from a combination of cable length and quality/construction, reduces bandwidth and accentuates the midrange frequencies by virtue of taking away high end and low end definition. It's this reduction of frequency spread and fidelity that some guitarists prefer (I agree that I don't know why) and can be akin to the preference for devices like tube screamers, vintage-style treble boosters, preamps, etc. That's ultimately what I was trying to get across.

Archived