Yamaha DX-200?

• Members

I like mine. I got it to replace my DX100, and it does the job. A lot of the parameters I want to tweak are not available on the front panel, so I use the editor. The drum sounds are, eh, as well as the pattern sequencer. It will do in a pinch, but it's not very fun.

The outputs are nice and noise-free (unlike aforementioned DX100). I wish it ran on batteries, the manual is idiotic. Good jungle and sub basses, and organs of course.

cheers

ripe

• Members

The DX200 is a lot of fun. I have two FS1R's besides, but still enjoy the DX200 because of its layout and format. You can get them now for half of what I originally paid, and they're well worth it.

Fun little box. Also goes great with the AN200 and the RS7000.

• Members

The AN/DX200 have a bug where notes falling on the first beat after a pattern change in the sequencer can be lost.

Having owned the PLG150-AN board used inside the AN-200, I think this has to do with it's relatively slow response to patch changes. That's probably why Yamaha never was able to fix the bug and eventually discontinued the boxes.

• Members

Sadly you lose the knobby programming interface when you stuff it into a Motif or CS6
:cry:

That's precisely why I didn't gut mine and install it in my Motif. The difference in sound quality never bothered me since I don't use any of my drum machines or groove boxes for recording. They're just for fun, and for working up rhythms and bass lines.

• Members

I had a DX200 for a while. Pretty fun little box if you don't mind having to use a computer to completely edit it.

A lot of people gut them, but I hate to see it done, because it was available as a plug-in card, and if you take it out of the 200, you end up with a somewhat worthless shell.

If you leave it in the box, you keep all the knobs like meatball said.

I never experienced that 'start of next sequence' glitch - but I've heard that a lot of people did.

• Members

I just got FM8 and have been tinkering with it for a little while... which got me interested in the DX-200. Seemed like a fun little all-in-one knobby box to tinker with when the computer wasn't on. And the sequencer interface looks like it would be great for tweaky rhythms and such.

Though I think I'm getting spoiled with the completely modular algorithm matrix of FM8 vs. having to choose from a crapload of pre-wired ones.

And as a side note... I'm building patches from scratch. I have no interest in presets or old DX-7 libraries.

Archived