Ensoniq SQ-80

• Members

In a fevered moment of Ebay buying, I picked up a busted SQ-80 for cheap. Supposedly it simply didn't power up, so, silly me, I thought it most likely just a PS problem, which is usually easy to fix.

Turns out the PS is fine, but there's a problem with the keypad/display board. Exactly what, I don't know yet.

Is the SQ-80 worth fixing?

• Members

i'm a fan of the SQ80, but i do see them sell locally for $100 or less in working condition from time to time. if you do figure out how to fix it, you will also probably learn enough to keep it running for several more years.

good luck & be sure to post what you find out!

• Members

Thanks guys. I think I'll invest a little more time in it and see if I can pin the problem down a little better. If it turns out to be a mystery, I'll find a donor or just part it out.

Pretty peculiar feeling keyboard action on it, very light. It also seems to be built like a tank.

• Members

I'd put my time and effort only restoring valuable synths. I just parted out a Matrix 6 which has corrosion problems on its CPU board... If they take to much time to fix, I pass. I keep my effort for the real analog classics !

• Members

Is there a problem with the KB Scanner? Is it not booting up properly? I got an ESQ-1 on E-Bay for $33 with that problem. Luckily, i had an extra ESQ that was ugly. So i just frankensteined them and got a nice working unit. I'm not sure if the kb scanner ic is available anymore. I would ask around. Maybe hop on the ESQseMe Yahoo list. I really should part this other ESQ out before i move in August.

• Members

I'd put my time and effort only restoring valuable synths. I just parted out a Matrix 6 which has corrosion problems on its CPU board... If they take to much time to fix, I pass. I keep my effort for the real analog classics !

There's a difference between monetary value, vintage value, and just plain synthesis value, (the latter being where the SQ-80 shines.) If it adds something useful to your palette, then it's valuable.

That said, your projects have been quite interesting to follow. :)

• Members

Thanks,

Well, as long as one find a synth valuable in any of the ways you mentioned, it's always a good idea to get a busted up machine and making it work...

I just find that the amount of time I can put into restoration projects is limited so I'd rather put that time only at the most valuable ones.

• Members

Ahhh! Congratulations! That brings back that elated feeling I experienced when I resurrected one of my TS-10s that had an elusive transformer issue. I finally found a replacement on ebay and it's worked flawlessly since. It had been non-functional for a couple of years so it felt like I had awakened the dead... What a great feeling when that display lit up and the synth booted! I had purchased another TS in the meantime for $450 (mint condition with a bunch of OEM discs included). Now that TS prices are getting crazy, I think I'll just be hanging onto both of them...

• Members

looks like your sq-80 is about to suffer the failing of so many of them...

the plastic colored overlay is going to peel off soon and have a wave bump in the middle near the display. easy fix, but annoying having to glue one down

also when programming the thing, definately use the AM feature and use negative keytracking on the osc's pitch to achieve a static AM amount ala ringmod.

• Members

I've been tempted on a few occasions to pick up an SQ-80 myself. They routinely sell for around $100-$150, but I try to avoid adding more keyboard synths to the studio.

Ensoniq made some really unique synths. It's a shame they're no longer in the game.

Archived