This is the thread where everybody says Interpol ripped off Joy Division.

companyman

• Members

Sounds about right
:idk:

Being original is hard work
;)

I do like a couple of their songs though. Seems as though they should have fired whoever produced, mixed, and wrote most of their stuff after the first album though, doesn't it? I guess that would have resulted in a lot of self crotch punching though....... that's hard work too.

amazing, I completely disagree with this entire post. :lol:

• Members

Interpol needs to stop making albums. the first one was awesome, the second one was good, the third one just sounded like the tracks on the second one that held it back. imo

is there a 4th? I don't even think I care.

also, tons of people ripped off joy division. Interpol was just the most popular

goddamnit, I dont even like saying ripped off. it's not ripping off if you write different songs.

• Members

I loved Turn On The Bright Lights, and was completely let down with Antics. I stopped caring after that disappointment.

But yeah, the first album was almost a tribute to one of my favorite eras of music - early 80s British Post Punk (U2, Echo & The Bunnymen, Joy Division, The Chameleons, WIRE, Bauhaus, Gang of Four...).

• Members

I loved
Turn On The Bright Lights
, and was completely let down with
Antics
. I stopped caring after that disappointment.

Yep, that sums it up for me. They seemed to have lost some of their depth. The first album is quite textured, atmospheric. After that to my mind it became jingly jangly indie-by-numbers. Disappointing.

• Members

Anyone that can compare the two probably hasn't listened to very much of one or the other. Their song writing and overall approach are totally different. The only thing that's really comparable between the two is the vocal style.

I loved
Turn On The Bright Lights
, and was completely let down with
Antics
. I stopped caring after that disappointment.

I'll kinda agree with this, except that Not Even Jail is probably my favorite song of theirs. The third album is largely unlistenable.

• Members

I don't think Interpol has much in common with Joy Division at all. If anything, they sound a little like Television. I am in the minority, clearly, the first album is good, but underdeveloped lyrically. Pauls lyrics are getting better with each release, his solo stuff is quite good as well. The production on the other has not been improving with each record, I think Turn on the Bright Lights was the best sounding....

Archived