Eliminating EQ "Hiss" ??

Silverburst LP

• Members

I've got my board sounding pretty great, save for the annoying hiss my EQ pedal makes. I'm wondering what fixes there are?

OK, first off, I'm using a {censored}ty Behringer, and while I know the immediate reaction of some folks will be "therein lies the problem", and it very well may be, I've heard that Graphic EQ hiss is a common problem with a lot of brands. Both the Boss GE7 and the MXR 6-band are reputed hissers.

I tried a noise gate/supressor after the EQ. Nothing except tone coloration on top of the hiss.:poke:

The EQ is next to last in my chain, just before my compressor. Is it possible the compressor is actually ENCOURAGING the steady hiss, and negating the noise gate? WOuld trying the gate IMMEDIATELY AFTER or even BEFORE the EQ pedal make a difference?

Regardless, the gate is a temp fix/ a loaner from a friend, so ultimately, I need a permanent solution. IS the MXR 10-band better than the M-109 6-band in terms of hiss/noise? Because I'm looking into that, but not if it's a hisser.

Any input is appreciated. Thoughts?

Cool story self.

Archived