June Machines: New gear thread

kpatz

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I'm excited. Iron Maiden tonight, and more importantly to this thread...

M3 tomorrow. Unfortunately not of the BMW variety. But still.

I realize that most people here probably don't care. I know that if it isn't "vintage" or analog, it isn't interesting. But, that doesn't diminish my excitement one bit. I've tried it out, and all of the competition very thoroughly, and am quite confident that I'm making the right choice for myself.

So, tomorrow or Saturday, I will post plentiful pictures of my first true entry into the world of pro workstations. :D

• Members

This just arrived yesterday:

RS-510-AM.jpg

I wish it had come with more cage nuts for the rails.
:cry:
It fits nicely under my desk, though. Thanks for the idea, Carbon.

Cool...I just ordered one of these also. Got a real good price, I think...this will come in very handy.

• Members

I opened 'er up yesterday:

Upper module board:

dsc03611.jpg

Lower module board:

dsc03609.jpg

CPU board, tucked underneath the two module boards:

dsc03610.jpg

Removed front panel, button caps, switch caps, slider caps and knob for cleaning. I managed to get the tape goo off the front panel.

dsc03612.jpg

I need to get some Goo Gone to remove the tape residue off the back panel.

dsc03613.jpg

Panel assembly, with some of the button caps put back on the buttons

dsc03614.jpg

And it's back together!

dsc03615.jpg

This unit didn't come with normal rack ears, instead it had a rack tray bolted to it. I removed this, and put felt pads on the bottom.

• Members

Since I've gotten an arseload of new gear lately, some of which I've posted here, I might as well post an updated gear list. :)

MY MODEST HOME & WORK STUDIOS

Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet, a Console, a Honkeytonk, jazz & acoustic Guitars, Mbiras, various Percussion from Conga to (more) Cowbell, other African, Afro-Cuban & Latin . . . lovely Vocals of wife & spawn.

Alesis Fusion 8HD, Ensoniq Fizmo, E-mu MP-7 w/Mo Phatt, Ensoniq ZR76, Proteus Pop & Protozoa ROMs, Alesis Micron, Roland XV-5050 w/Orchestra & Piano (SRX 11) boards, Clavia Nord Micro Modular, Novation Remote 61 SL w/V-Station & Bass Station, CME UF5

Modartt Pianoteq 2, NA Akoustik Piano, MOTU Symphonic Instrument, Vienna Instruments Solo Strings, Logic Instruments and plug ins, Eastwest Rare Ethnic Instruments, M-Tron.

Finale 2008 (w/ScoreGroove), Logic Pro 8 (w/WaveBurner), AutoTune 5 (mainly for my own scratch vocals, otherwise the ladies would have no idea what the tune to sing was!), SoundSoap, Lil' Miss Scale Oven.

Intel iMac, G4 eMac, Alesis IO/26, Edirol FA-101, two MIDISport 2x2's, Glyph GT050

Alesis monitors & power amp, Thiel & Technics speakers, Sony subwoofer, two Behringer KX1200's for that stereo effect, AT 4033aSE, AKG DL12 & D190E mics, PreSonus TubePre (w/Groove Tube), Alesis ADAT, TEAC 3440, large vibrating egg, AT M50 & Sony headphones, ears.

In the future: a better preamp, MOTU Ethno Instrument, replace the G4, a MOTU Micro Lite (MIDI 5x5).

• Members

This just arrived yesterday:

RS-510-AM.jpg

I wish it had come with more cage nuts for the rails.
:cry:
It fits nicely under my desk, though. Thanks for the idea, Carbon.

So do you guys know where to pick up those square pegs?

It looks like this rack has metal pegs that fit into those square holes. I have a rack like this and have all the metal pegs breaking when I'm trying to move them around to other holes. To me, these are pain in the ass and I've stabbed my fingers a few times removing the pegs with a phillips screwdriver. Nevertheless, I need to buy more.

• Members

Uh-oh, better stay away from bruce, he has a Virus.
:D

Too true. Funny thing is it came with version 5.5 loaded. Worked almost all night trying to get it up to 6.5. Neither the big file or the little chunks would load using any software I have. They would load about 1/2 way, and then the virus would just freeze up.

It turns out it that it didn't like the MIDI interface of my Delta PCI 1010LT. Now go figure THAT one out. As soon as I slapped on my old MidiSport 2x2 USB, it loaded up like nobody's businesses. I've been using the Delta MIDI interface with my LP, CS6X, Voyager and never had a hitch until now. Crazy.

I've also got an Edirol 8 port that I havne't installed yet, guess it will like it too. :)

• Members

I opened 'er up yesterday:

Upper module board:

Lower module board:

CPU board, tucked underneath the two module boards:

Removed front panel, button caps, switch caps, slider caps and knob for cleaning. I managed to get the tape goo off the front panel.

I need to get some Goo Gone to remove the tape residue off the back panel.

Panel assembly, with some of the button caps put back on the buttons

And it's back together!

This unit didn't come with normal rack ears, instead it had a rack tray bolted to it. I removed this, and put felt pads on the bottom.

Man, impressive, kpatz. Really impressive. Did you see stars when you cracked it open? And do you make housecalls ? :D

• Members
And do you make housecalls ?
:D

Since you live in Florida, that means I only make housecalls in the winter. ;) I see you have some Moogs, I may just decide to shack up down there for the winter. :D

• Members

* Bought a DW6000 for real cheap Wednesday.

* Still waiting for my nord Lead 3 rack to come back from the doctor (I only had about 20 minutes with her!)

* Probably going to send Jeff Toman one of my 2 JX-10's soon for a bit of 'mod-love'

* Waiting for my nord Lead 2 Anniversary to arrive from Sweden (last one coming to US!)

• Members

Kpatz - excellent! And thanks for posting the inside pics. I always open my synths up and look inside - look up the ICs, clean them, check the battery, etc.

No synths for me - did get a bunch of 1/4" patch cables for the Roland M-480 mixer I bought last month - 20 in fact.

d4_2.JPG

Also, I bought this book from Amazon:

51cLK0rFqGL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsit

I checked it out from the library a few times and finally bought it. It has absolutely the best chapters on chord sequences I've ever seen in a song writing book. It says guitar, but can be applied to any instrument. $13.57 + shipping.

• Members

Nothing too exciting so far...

wdfMyBook_Studio_1Q1.jpg

Purchased to consolidate music, sounds and data I have distributed around 3 separate drives, as well as to store my backups. 1 whole terabyte and I'm still concerned it may not be enough space...

• Members

My birthday today - Got these brand new - on clearance at half-price - Nice deal.

Event Studio Precision 8

2559373995_0be33562d7.jpg

The Roland DS-90A will go away now

2559374011_08312631b8.jpg

and so will the M-Audio BX8 I think

2559374025_d2dbc7238c.jpg

A few more pics of these monitors:

2559374049_7f7bfef6e7.jpg

nice finish

2559374077_b422995762.jpg

But I need to get a pair of speaker stands - they are too big to sit on the desk - they are sort of a cross between near-field and mid-field

2559374109_7688bd2461.jpg

They sound gooood..... and ... very loud!!

• Members

I finally found an MCV1 in the bay and am now able to play the ol' Prodigy via MIDI.

mcvnprodigy.jpg

I bought a brand new MCV4 first, but they wouldn't work together for some electrical reasons that I don't understand.

Archived