Oscilloscope monitoring

• Members

Anyone have experience hooking up a synth or a microphone to an oscilloscope to view the waveforms (audio signal or even control voltage)?

I guess I can use basic BNC to RCA connectors to make the connections, but I have no idea what settings to use on the scope. I bought it pretty cheaply second-hand, and I think it will be better than the PC-based ones that have too much latency.

Any suggestions?

I couldn't resist after the cool demos I saw on matrixsynth recently.

• Members

Anyone have experience hooking up a synth or a microphone to an oscilloscope to view the waveforms (audio signal or even control voltage)?

I guess I can use basic BNC to RCA connectors to make the connections, but I have no idea what settings to use on the scope. I bought it pretty cheaply second-hand, and I think it will be better than the PC-based ones that have too much latency.

Any suggestions?

sounds like fun. Tweak it out until it looks good.

• Members

Any suggestions?

Reading oscilloscope manual prior to operation would be a good idea. Your scope will live longer and you might actually get something on the screen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Members

I use a software-based harmonic analyzer (Freakascope) a lot when designing patches, or trying to match a particular sound.

Latency isnt an issue and it works great, but Id like to get a hardware scope at some point, just because it looks so damn cool! :D

• Members

Latency isnt an issue and it works great, but Id like to get a hardware scope at some point, just because it looks so damn cool!
:D

If you think of harmonic analyzer... that device and oscilloscope are actually two different things. :) Analyzer can cost 5-10 x of an average oscilloscope.

I believe there is no need of getting analyzer when all the analysis you will do will be in audio range anyway - soundcard will be just fine.

• Members

I've hooked my scope up to my synths just for the fun of it once or twice. I just took apart a 1/4" stereo plug, attached the scope probes to the connectors, and plugged it into my mixer's headphone jack (quickest way to hook it up temporarily). But a cable with a 1/4" plug (or RCA plug, if that's what you need) on one end and a BNC on the other would work as well.

Didn't some modular synths offer a scope module as an option?

• Members

Qwave wins the prize.

:cool:

I used to connect an oscilloscope sometimes to our school's EMS Synthi AKS when I was at school in the early eighties.

The EMS VCS3 and A is by the way an ideal way to learn analogue synthesis.

• Members

Reading oscilloscope manual prior to operation would be a good idea. Your scope will live longer and you might actually get something on the screen.
:lol:

Point taken, but I received no manual, and an exhaustive search for the user manual for my make and model came up with a service manual which does me no good. On top of that, the manual would explain nothing about how to use it for audio signals. I know because I looked at other similar manuals online.

How did you hook your synth up in your other post? What settings did you use? Any help will be useful. I know nothing about o-scopes. I haven't used one since physics lab about 15 years ago.

Archived