Test your ears!

• Members

One of these samples of 16th note high hats has 0.2742ms jitter, the other 1.0561ms of jitter. Can you tell which is which just by listening? :cop:

Both are mono waves.

Sample 1:

http://homepage.mac.com/nicksdsu/synths/2008.06.11/mystery1.wav

Sample 2:

http://homepage.mac.com/nicksdsu/synths/2008.06.11/mystery2.wav

Reference thread:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2006049

• Members

OK the sounds and levels are slightly different on these two samples so they can't be compared directly to the first set, but they are in the same order as far as jitter is concerned. Although I can't measure it anymore (or didn't try) the snare probably added some jitter to the "lower jitter" sample.

Sample 3:

http://homepage.mac.com/nicksdsu/synths/2008.06.11/mystery3.wav

Sample 4:

http://homepage.mac.com/nicksdsu/synths/2008.06.11/mystery4.wav

I get the feeling I'm going to have to add some samples of 2ms and 3ms of jitter to make things more interesting!

• Members

i listened to the originals and mystery 1 has a bit of squidge in the beginning of each hit that 2 is lacking. the thing is without the original non jittered sample it's impossible to know if the more squidge is what's supposed to be there or mystery 2 is the accurate file and the squidge is introduced by jitter.

so if the original had a slight ramping issue in the filter or amp section then mystery 1 is the lower jitter sample.

if the original sounds closer to mystery 2 then the mystery 1 sample has more jitter.

• Members

I can try a 0 jitter sample today by using an isolated high hat sample and sequencing it in software, then bouncing to disk. The original samples are done with hardware, so the "less jittery" sample is as good as it gets with that particular piece of kit. The particular device has the lowest "single track" jitter out of anything in my studio (have to try the MC-909 today), so the only way to do better is rendering the loop offline.

• Members

hello

let me listen to this when i'm not drunk off my ass

i'll give you a report tomorrow when i get dem hihatz bumpin thru STUDIO MONITORZ

Haha. Hihatz bumpin thru STUDIO MONITORZ. Hahaha. That's a good one.

• Members

Answer below in white. Highlight the text to read it!

Congratulations those of you who guessed samples 1 and 3 as the jittery-er clips! Though I have to admit its somewhat disappointing to see that some of you can hear the 0.75ms difference in jitter (it wasn't a blind test for me, but I think I hear a difference).

The clips were generated with a Korg ER-1. When sequencing 1 track, it has the lowest jitter of anything in my studio (save for rendered loops in software which are jitter free). However, when other tracks in the machine are sequenced, the jitter goes up significantly.

Adding 8 tracks of typical drum sequencing to the 16th note high hats raised the jitter from 0.2742ms to 1.0561ms. And apparently its an audible difference.

I've been testing sequencer jitter using hardware sequencing itself, the same hardware synced to stable and not-so stable clocks, and software on various OSs. I have a lot of interesting data to share, but I do have quite a bit of writing to do.

Some of the information is disappointing, the amount of jitter in some supposedly high-end drum machines. But then again people have been making music with all of these gear for years, so maybe jitter isn't that bad after all?

• Members

I've been testing sequencer jitter using hardware sequencing itself, the same hardware synced to stable and not-so stable clocks, and software on various OSs. I have a lot of interesting data to share, but I do have quite a bit of writing to do.

this is very intriguing stuff .... please do share.

i've always favored hardware over Windows & Mac for sequencing due to the problems created by non real-time OS limits (i.e.= IRQs of old, USBs of late). I haven't noticed my EMX or ESX jitter outright, but then when summing thru just L/R outs it can turn the sound to crap if not carefully orchestrated.

Among MIDI devices the tightest sequencer i know is the FR Mobius, but should be since it's only 1 track!

i wonder if jitter is directly related to the OS or if it's mostly MIDI's "fault", or a combo of both...

Guest Anonymous

Somtimes it helps to listen to only one speaker at a time. Other times the mono switch can be your friend.

eksnob7.jpg

*My first post and answer should say hear and not here.

:wave:

Archived