Why the hate for the BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone?

O.G.T.V.

• Members

can you articulate wat's so awful about it, remember that it's a "metal" pedal made to go into a clean amp. and if you say it sounds like "a can of bees", you've said nothing.

yes, I realize that the pedal is meant to go into a clean amp - and that's how I tried/used it.

the truth is that the most common claims about it (i.e. "it's nasally, lacks balls, is fizzy/buzzy") are not groundless. Granted, I've heard quite a few people say that you need a good eq after it to really open it up, but I figure at that point (after getting an eq JUST for that pedal) I might has well have spent the money towards something that's going to sound good right out. I would fully concur with the most common claims because they are, for the most part, true. That thing often sounds like a mid/treble boosted box of buzzy white noise. Even if you try to use that parametric eq thing to chill out the mids and boost the hell out of the bass it ends up being pretty scooped without any "thickness" to it that will actually be able to compete with anything else in a room.

• Members

It's been forever since I messed with one for 5 minutes, but my impression is however good or bad it may be, most people use the powerful controls to make it sound even worse. That the majority of those who like it say it needs an EQ after it, which confirms either my theory or that something is really wrong with the pedal, since it has some of the most powerful EQ built-in of any dirt pedal made.

• Members

The key to the Metal Zone is to never ever try to use it for anything resembling metal.

If you keep that in mind, you can get some pretty good sounds out of it.

Excellent point...even more so for Boss' HM-2 (Heavy Metal Pedal)...both of these are CRIMINALLY mis-named, as they're both much too musical for Heavy Metal, but are great for other things (particularily if you run one into a good chorus and a good flanger simultaneously)...like getting a singing violin-like tone from humbuckers.

Just my $.02 worth! :)

Archived