Electro Harmonix WORM

Bee_Gee

• Members

how is this thing? ive been looking at this thing for a while. ive got a pretty simple pedal board going right now with just OD, and delay and i was thinking about getting one of these to cover a lot of modulation with just one pedal. how do the effects compare to to other EH pedals? especially the phaser .

anyone?

• Members

I've been tepted to buy one of those big boxes because they are going very cheap used, but after I tried it out, I was not too excited about the pedal, the effect is decent, your typical EHX old school sounds, did notice the hiss but that is a part of the EHX heritage, they make the best sounding hissy pedals, I was willing to accept that, I liked the phaser and vibrato, the autowah sounded toyish and overall, the pedal lacked the usual EHX weirdness, it's supposed to be analog and that was one of its major selling points.

I have been having the same problem, I was looking for a compact and versatile modulation pedal, and I finally got a Z-Cat Q-Mod, and it's a good pick, MXR sized box, digital, true bypass, cheap and it does chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo and reverb pretty well.

• Members

The XO Worm fixed the hiss and headroom issues, IIRC; but I sold my XO and kept my big box original. I like old school EHX despite its flaws.

It's one of my favorite EHX pedals for several reasons. The autowah sounds fat . The phaser is 3 stages, and has a very vintage univibe-like quality about it. The vibrato is subtle, but sounds delicious with a bridge position single-coil. The manual switch in phaser mode makes a fantastic tone shaping tool to get some rich mid-freq accents.

The weakest feature, IMO, is the tremelo; but even that has it's endearing quality for minimal applications.

• Members

The wah was completely useless to me. The thing i like about wah pedals is the funky chunky sound you get when hitting the strings and rocking the pedal forward very fast. Modulated wah is just :confused: to me.

I guess i dont really like phaser, had a small stone, sold it. Had a worm, didn't dig the phase.

The trem was way too limited. Did not get very deep, couloured the sound very much (muddy goo). No waveform control.

The vibrato was the coolest feature in my opinion. Didn't kill the tone as much as the trem, and much more usable effect than the wah and the phaser for me. The only problem I had with it was that it didn't get very deep, and i had a sort of choppy waveform instead of a smooth sine wave.

The manual mode is a extremely cool feature though. You can get fixed wah sounds in wah mode, and great funky fixed filtered sounds in phaser mode.

In the end it just didn't live up to my expectations. It's a cool effect in it's own right, but could not replace a bunch of other mod effects for me.

• Members

I have the Worm XO. It's a good pedal, I mostly use it for the phaser that can get a very cool uni-vibe type sound, and I like the wah. Both sound sweet with fuzz, especially when it's set to a slow sweep rate.

The trem and vibrato are okay, but as said before they don't get too deep. I love the Worm some days, especially the phaser and wah, but some days I don't like it for being so subtle. I use it all the time though.

I think you'd like it for the wah and phaser, which are excellent, but don't expect too much from the trem and vibrato. I think overall the pedal's worth the price though for those two effects.

Oh, and it's a perfect pedal for single-coils, doesn't sound as good with humbuckers.

• Members

yeah i would probably get the new small box model. i guess the hiss is tolerable for some people, but i think i would drive me crazy. hopefully i can play one of these things soon. if it doesn't work out ill probably go for the small stone and then go from there

Archived