Sg Standard or 62 Reissue Jazzmaster

• Members

So I played my friends 62 Jazz lastnight and wow I'm in love, amazing guitar pretty much everything about it after you replace the bridge...that aside I have had a 2008 Sg standard for about a year and a half and haven't really got into the fat, screaming sound of an Sg..there are moments when I love it but more moments when I ignore it and play my tele, what'd you guys think should I sell and make the transition or would I regret it?

Not basing my decision on this alone clearly just looking for some guidance.

• Members

I love the look of jazzmasters, the sound of jazzmasters... I just cannot get on with the necks or the thin sounding pickups...

I used to have a 72 JM with blocks, the neck was perfect. Regrets on selling that one... If you are cool with the massive difference in necks (SGs are baseball bats) then go for it!

• Members

I love the look of jazzmasters, the sound of jazzmasters... I just cannot get on with the necks or the thin sounding pickups...

I used to have a 72 JM with blocks, the neck was perfect. Regrets on selling that one... If you are cool with the massive difference in necks (SGs are baseball bats) then go for it!

That's one of my main problems at first i loved the neck, then started playing my tele more and realized the vast difference...my hands aren't exactly large either so playing the Sg can be a real pain to get a good grip on

• Members

If it was me, I'd trade the SG hands down (if you couldn't afford to hang on to it). I'm just not a huge fan -- but it's all just personal preference. I have an AVRI '62 JM and Tele, and I like the way they sound better than any SG. But I play cleaner and more countryish, generally.

The Gibson necks and scale length are more comfortable for me, though, unfortunately. My GF has a '68 real-deal SG in a case in our bedroom, but I only play it every once in a while -- and when I do, I have to reset all the settings on my amps and pedals to do so.

• Members

I have a cp jazzmaster and absolutely love it. I'm assuming the 62 would be web better. I would go for it, it's nice to change things up.

I prefer the bigger frets (and updated bridge) on the CP over the '62 RI.

But the '62 has much better finnishing touches all over it, compared to the CP.

Archived