Way Huge Angry Troll

• Members

Anyone tried one yet? Sounds like something I might like.

-Delivers up to +50dB of boost

-Precisely tuned to work like an extension of your amp

-Adds a little dirt at higher settings

-Heavy-duty foot switch with quiet relay-based true bypass

-High-grade components for low noise operation

• Members

I guess it'll come in handy for those outdoor gigs...

...when the band also wants to be heard on the surface of the moon.

I can't say that I've actually gotten to play it though. Walked right past it at GC last week. I don't think anyone is obnoxious enough to turn that thing up past 7 o'clock on the dial.

• Members

Physically speaking, there is a limitation to the amount of clean boost (or amplification before the onset of clipping) you can achieve given a 9VDC power supply, and ideal components. For most guitars, we'll round it off to around +25dB. Basses tend to put out a bit more signal, and thus they will not achieve this level of amplification.

If you are talking dirty gain (amplification with clipping of the waveform) you are no longer limited by your supply voltage, and these suggestions go right out the window. With that in mind:

+50dB clean gain at 9V supply is possible, with an input signal that does not exceed ~0.028V (or 28mV) peak to peak. Considering a low-output single-coil pickup will kick out ~100mV peak to peak signal, you can realistically achieve ~38dB clean gain with ideal components and a well designed circuit. A humbucker will often put out around a ~500mV peak to peak signal during hard playing, limiting your clean gain to around ~25dB before the onset of clipping. An active pickup system can kick out 1V peak to peak, further limiting your clean gain before the onset of clipping.

Two worthwhile caveats:

-The figures suggested above are not perfect, and are used as an example (output will vary from guitar to guitar, but you get idea).

-Decibels follow a logarithmic scale. Logarithm is a non-linear function.

:blah::blah::blah:

A bunch of other {censored} nobody really cares about follows, but essentially: given a 9V operating voltage it is going to be difficult to achieve consistent massive clean gain. Now, if supply voltage is increased....

• Members

I did a take-home trial on this pedal to see if I wanted it for a boost/light gain.

I put it thru 6 different amps:

Rivera R-100 2-12 modded for 6L6.

'67 Princeton Reverb w/ bias/tone stack mods

Mesa series one Rectoverb/Marshall 2-12 cab & w/ Carvin V412 cab

modded Classic 30

Carvin Quad-X/Tube 100 rack setup thru Carvin V412 cab

Fender Blues Jr.

Guitars used:

'61 Les Paul SG Custom

Starfield American Cabriolet

custom Schecter Tempest Classic & Special

and a bunch of heavily customized Lefty guitars that my studio buddy plays..

.. this thing sounded like a giant turd with almost every setup imaginable and each setting with the Gain stages just got worse and worse.

Its good for a lead boost for already well overdriven amps but kinda blew for more natural breakup sounds.

I gave it a shot and spent damn near 4 hours messing with this pedal. It should NOT take that long to find good settings on a basic pedal like that.

There's definitely way better boosts than this, and more natural/smooth sounding overdrives as well.

Archived