Robin Guitars - anyone played one? Trade has been dangled at me...

• Members

A guy got in contact with me yesterday on Gumtree asking if I'd trade my Cornell Plexi 20 for his Robin guitar. This would appear to be his guitar that didn't sell on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/usa-robin-ranger-custom-no-reserve-boutique-guitar-/250642049247?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a5b6e28df#ht_741wt_1137

Apart from the reverse headstock and my dislike of maple necks, it's not bad looking. Has anyone played any of the Robin guitars? Thoughts/opinions/limericks etc?

• Members

They were decent guitars made by the owner of Rockin' Robin guitars in Houston (great store with a killer collection of vintage gear). The reverse headstock was a "Robin" thing. He made guitars for Stevie Ray Vaughan, the company also made Rio Grande pick ups. I never owned one but I've played several of them at Dave's store. They were well made and sounded great. That one from the guy on Ebay looks really cool, well worth grabbing. I dig the pick up choices.

srv_jv.jpg

• Members

well.....that's a NICE amp you have.....i would maybe ask for the robin plus say 50 pounds extra in cash?

that Robin is one of the best they made....luckily it does not have the pointy headstock or the floyd rose. i personally LOVE the look of those, with the pickguard like a tele and a strat body
:thu:

It's a nice amp but not one of the production models. It was a prototype made prior to the production models. The production models have switchable valve/solid state rectification and selectable outputs: the prototype has set 8 ohm outputs and solid state rectification only. It's still a cracking amp but it's had no sniffs at all. I've had it on Ebay for weeks now and it just hasn't sold. I paid

• Members

I've played one of those, albeit, years ago. The variety of tones from the different pickups was over the top.

IIRC, the neck was sorta C-shaped and the fretboard and radius struck me as something between a fender and an Ibanez. Really comfy, and a great player.

• Members

It does look a really cracking guitar and blue is my colour, even if I'm not a Strat/Tele man. I think it's worth a punt.

Bobby, what's the neck radius and nut width on Robins generally like?

more than likely, that one is gonna be 1 5/8" nut width, and probably either 7.5" or 9" radius....very vintage fender specs, usually.

the Rangers are the coolest guitars they ever did, IMHO.

those seem to hold their value better than the "shredder" style Robins they made.

very versatile guitar, tone wise. looks like it's got some nice pickups in it! :thu:

• Members

Excuse me while I attempt to be the voice of bloody reason!

That guitar looks hideous and the Cornell Plexi is a masterpiece of an amp.

Now that primal urge has been cast from my system, if you can get a quirky guitar you enjoy playing or even make a quid or two on the deal then why not?

• Members

Excuse me while I attempt to be the voice of bloody reason!

That guitar looks hideous and the Cornell Plexi is a masterpiece of an amp.

Now that primal urge has been cast from my system, if you can get a quirky guitar you enjoy playing or even make a quid or two on the deal then why not?

I'm just not rock enough for the Plexi. For the last month, I've been jangling to the Smiths and the Go-Betweens. There's no way I can get a Plexi in there! :D

The guitar just appeals in a strange way. The neck isn't ideal, I much prefer rosewood, but I like the body.

New 10" Romany being picked up on Monday to level out the Cornell karma :)

• Members

if that's an original Joe Barden tele pickup in the bridge, that pickup is worth some serious coin.....and it's a MONSTER pickup.

snag that geetar, Heartfelt Dawn....snag it!

Y'know... I think I will. I'll get in touch with the guy tomorrow morning, see if he's still interested.

Archived