RRR vs Strymon BlueSky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Woooowww... I had never even heard of the Blue Sky, and I'm in love w/ my RRR, but holy crap...

That infinite plate and plate shimmer sound... good grief that sounds amazing. And the ability to store your favorite sound is pretty awesome and very handy.

I wonder though, can you switch between 2 sounds? If so, then I'm completely sold as I pretty much use the RRR for only a couple different sounds, and it would be incredible to have both of them on tap.

Guest Guest

Strymon absolutely destroyed the RRR IMO. I didn't find the RRR all that usable, to be honest, but a lot of folks love it, so :idk:

• Members

I had the RRR thought it was pretty good, but I liked my Hardwire almost as much, if not more tbh. I have a Cathedral now, and I like it, very versatile, presets, it was also free so there's that. The Strymon is supposed to be tits, but I haven't had a chance to play one. I don't do tons of stuff with reverb, so I think it's awesomeness would probably be lost on me.

• Members

I have the RRR and have ZERO desire to try out a Strymon.

I can get all the 'shimmer' I want out of my Superdelay/PS-3, don't really care for the other features outside of the EQ options, and really like the reverb modes on the RRR better.

Content'd.

• Members

I think shimmer is overrated. It gets boring pretty quickly. The infinite plate on the Strymon is a lot cooler than the shimmer stuff IMO. Clips sound awesome. I'd pick the Strymon over the RRR any day.

That being said, I'm GASing for a Neunaber Technology WET reverb.

• Members

I have the RRR and have
ZERO
desire to try out a Strymon.

I can get all the 'shimmer' I want out of my Superdelay/PS-3, don't really care for the other features outside of the EQ options, and really like the reverb modes on the RRR better.

Content'd.

I love my RRR, too, Nick... but I don't understand your logic:

It takes you 2 pedals to get you where 1 pedal COULD get you. :confused:

Besides, the SD's shimmer/crystals aren't really the same as what I'm hearing on the Strymon. The Strymon's shimmer is more solid; not as spacey as the SD. Granted, if you turn turn down the delay time all the way and put a real wet hall reverb from the RRR after the SD, you can pretty much nail the Strymon's shimmer.

But to me, that's what's coolest about the Strymon: I get all that w/ one pedal, and I have more control over the decay and, if I understand correctly, can essentially have 2 presets on the Strymon. And since I do a lot of live playing and need quick transitions in-between songs, the Strymon is MUCH more appealing in that regard.

The RRR just sounds phenomenal though, and it's got plenty of different types of reverb... so this IS a tough call.

I think for studio recording, the RRR would win out, simply because of all of the types of reverb I have available. But for live playing, the Strymon may be a better choice for me.

• Members

I think shimmer is overrated...

It all depends on how you use it, my friend. :thu:

If you're using it in every other song just because it sounds cool, then yes... that will get old REALLY quick. But if you use it sparingly, it can be a VERY nice tool to have. :thu:

Personally, I think the Strymon's shimmer beats the crap out of the PS-3's mode 7 and any other similar effect I've heard; it just sounds more usable.

• Members

I have the RRR and have
ZERO
desire to try out a Strymon.

Content'd.

It's the infinite reverb that entices me more than shimmer. How do you like the RRR for "experimental, out-there" kinda stuff compared to other (even cheaper) reverbs? I see you have been through quite a few reverbs (amongst other gear :D) like the RV-3, RRR, etc., would you feel the RRR's price is justified compared to those cheaper ones?

@webinfront_: yeah the price difference is also there, momentarily forgot about that. i really like the strymon but am trying to decide whether to pay the extra dough for the infinite 'verbs and extra control. Stereo + shimmer, i'm not that concerned with those.

• Members

It's the infinite reverb that entices me more than shimmer. How do you like the RRR for "experimental, out-there" kinda stuff compared to other (even cheaper) reverbs? I see you have been through quite a few reverbs (amongst other gear
:D
) like the RV-3, RRR, etc., would you feel the RRR's price is justified compared to those cheaper ones?

I've only had a few of the more basic reverb pedals out there (RV-3, RV-5, Holy Grail) but in ways that those pedals don't necessarily, the RRR really excels at natural sounding reverbs. You can get some spacey stuff out of a few patches by cranking up the mix and setting it for longer decays... but compared to the RV-3, it sounds much more realistic. The RV-3 can sound a bit metallic at times IMO. It's a great pedal, and one of my favorite Boss boxes, but the RRR is much more convincing and, again, natural sounding.

• Members

The Strymon looks cool, but I'm a huge hall reverb guy, which the Strymon doesn't have. That's probably the biggest dealbreaker. I don't care much for room reverbs and I don't like pedal spring verb much either. Honestly, 75% of the time, I'm using the Hall patches on the RRR... so for
me
, I'm still convinced that's the better choice...

I don't care much for pedal spring-verb or even much for room reverb; pretty much pointless IMO when you're playing in an actual ROOM :facepalm: (well, on a stage, w/ other bandmembers anyway...:lol:).

But that infinite plate verb sounds just as good and usable as the hall on my RRR does. It would give me that reeeeal spacey sound I use my RRR for. And like you, I primarily use the hall modes on the RRR; really don't use it for much else. And to me, the infinite plate (or even if it wasn't QUITE infinite) would be PERFECT.

Jus' sayin'. :idk:

• Members

Okay, here's my two cents...

RRR breakdown:

- Simple. Not much to fiddle with.

- Gives a more "vintage" vibe.

- Good dry signal (but adds some highs).

BSR breakdown:

- A lot more control over the reverb sounds.

- Able to mix different verb with different effects (example: Spring w/ Shimmer, or Plate w/ Mod)

- It's like having two reverb pedals in one (The favorite setting + manual setting).

- You can tweak the favorite setting on the fly (when the pedal is on or off).

- It does have a hall setting. You put it in room mode and then crank the decay (they're both the same type of verb).

- Dry signal is the same pedal on or off.

- All the controls have a huge range of sounds and frequencies.

I had the RRR and sold it because I wanted more flexibility, and I also thought it was a bit pricey. Got the RVB and loved it for almost a year. Just got the BSR and the RVB is going up for sale. Don't knock the BSR until you try it. The BSR is worth every penny. I got one of the blems for a bit cheaper at the Strymon Webstore.

Having said all that, I can see guys preferring the RRR over the BSR due to it's no brainer set up. One less pedal to tweak and mess with on your board. It still is a great reverb pedal.

• Members

Cool breakdown. :thu:

I'm still content w/ my RRR... but knowing that you can get hall sounds out of the BSR is really interesting. I've loved the RRR since the word go. Love the sound, but I've often desired more control

Archived