What's personal in Clapton's style ?

warioblast

• Members

What do Eric Clapton and Coffee have in common?

They are both {censored} without Cream :lol::lol::lol:

Cream is the only band I like to listen to with Clapton in it, and IMO, there isn't much personal about Cream.

• Members

They are both {censored} without Cream
:lol:

Cream is the only band I like to listen to with Clapton in it, and IMO, there isn't much personal about Cream.

:lol::lol:

but I don't agree because the unplugged is a must have and IMO a good sums of what he has done during the 70 and 80's..
everything else on the other hand is meh..

• Members

They are both {censored} without Cream

Cream is on my short list, but Clapton only gets a break for Blind Faith after that.

The OP's right....

Clapton is a JJ Cale tribute, with Albert King on guitar.

• Members

He lost a lot of his fire after the herion addiction, no doubt.

But listen to his playing on the Beano album, the solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, everything Cream did, and a few gems from his Dominos days like Bell Bottom Blues, etc - he could {censored}ing play. And it wasn't just him ripping off Freddie King or Buddy Guy - the guy went for it and rarely played a wrong note.

His solo stuff is spotty at best - drugs and alcohol are a hell of a - well, drug.

• Members

The Cream stuff is incredible..I like it a lot!

He, and the baker and bruce, were ahead of their time, IMO.

Then god only knows how much {censored} he has injected and sniffed through the years. I've read he passed some really bad moments in his life. Also, even if this happened later, I guess the death of his child was another hard blow

• Members

What blows me away is he gets more recognition than guys like Jeff Beck. I personally think Beck blows him out of water.

Beck does blow him out of the water (and i worship cream era-clapton). Beck's playing is on a whole different level though, and he took it in a different direction. The problem is, he didn't get as much mainstream exposure (or the personal life media attention) that Clapton did.

His solo stuff is hit or miss, but Unplugged is a great album. It doesnt get much more personal than writing about your son who died. The singles he puts out more recently have too much of that reggae vibe going on for me personally, but some of the deeper cuts off of the albums have some killer riffs and solos.

For me though, the solo on Crossroads @ Winterland is just mind blowing. I dunno if its just the added dynamic between all three of them that gets me, but it honestly ranks as my favorite solo of all time. Flame me if you want but, meh.

Archived