Lets talk cables........

shipatsea

• Members
You'll hear any difference when you have $250 invested in 10 cable.

I have nice cables. Mogami 2524 with Neutrick connectors. Got em from lava. I bought them because I wanted something durable, not because they sound any better than any other decent cable. I take care of them and they haven't gotten kinked or broken in the 2 and half years I've been using them.

I end up buying nice cables with lifetime warranties. That way, if they fail, I just take them back to the store and they hand me a brand new one, no questions asked. Theoretically I should never have to buy another cable again (and yet, I still do... :facepalm:)

• Members

I think most people agree that different cables sound different. But as I'm moving farther away from the corksniffing hobby, I realize it doesn't matter. You'll go crazy if you always think your tone "could" be slightly better using a different $100+ cable...

Just get a reliable cable for $30 and forget about how it sounds relative to others, it's just not worth it.

• Members

really? My friend and I did a double blind test a number of different cables and there is a pretty big difference between them. That said, marketing mumbo-jumbo doesn't do it for me and more expensive doesn't equal better.

There ya go.

Beyond the point where a cable is reliable, quiet and relatively low capacitance there is no difference in quality, they are all good enough. Beyond that you may get different flavors, but even then more expensive does not mean better.

There are some very bad cables, even very expensive bad cables, out there hiding under the gold plating and pretty braids.

Even the gold plating doesn't mean much in this world where cables are in more danger from spilled Newcastle Brown Ale than corrosion. Think about it. The show's over, you unplug your guitar and put it away. Go to the amp unplug the cable from that end and start wrapping it up. While you're winding the plug that was in your guitar is being dragged across the stage through whatever grime, spilled beer, punk spit, bassist sweat was on the stage.

Really care what your cables sound like? Spritz a little DeOx on a rag and wipe your plugs down. Bigger difference than anything you can buy on a pegboard.

Archived