Ok so this is my band : Ask the Dust

nico/atd

• Members

Hey guys

My band just released a new EP, full of great tonez!

There are two tracks for free on our facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ask-the-Dust/6353166027?ref=ts

THe EP is not just a pedal showcase though, even if you'll notice some familiar tones and soundscapes, it's modern shoegaze, quite heavy, Pumpkins and late 70s Bowie are amongst our biggest influences.

If you wanna buy the EP, you can do it on the same facebook page, "Acheter l'EP", then english instructions.

Hope you'll like it!

Nicolas

• Members

Hey!

Here's my pedalboard :

pb_nico.jpg

First VP JR controls the Spring Chicken, the other one controls the Quicksilver.

The wah is a custom Wilson Fuzz/Wah that is a cross between his vintage spec'd rippah q wah and an old EH Muff fuzz Crying Tone Fuzz/Wah.

The big Dice Works just replaced my Twosome.

The last pedal of the chain is a Fromel Seraph that allows me to drive 2 Budda amps in stereo.

Here's a vid of me using it in the studio a couple of weeks ago (recording a song for our next release due next year)

[YOUTUBE]KB_rLP47qP8[/YOUTUBE]

On the two songs that are on the fb page right now, here is what is used.

Bass : Straight in an Universal Audio LA-610 then treated with the Ampeg SVX plugin. The flanger on "For What It's Worth" is an old yellow Ibanez Swell Flanger

Dums : my drummer does studio takes that trigger stuffs. You don't hear much of the actual recorded drum sound, aside from the ambience mics.

Guitar takes :

"For What It's Worth"

Fuzz (Intro Octaves and Chorus) : Devi Ever Truly Beautiful Disaster into my former Pod XT Ampeg SVT simulation. Oscillating fuzz + bass amp is a cool combo!

Shoegazy stuff on the Chorus and Intro : a Treble Booster, Oohlala Quicksilver with some chorusy warble and tons of plugin reverb (Waves Masterverb). During the Chorus and solo there's also lot of Fernandes Sustainer takes buried in the mix.

Solo : B:assmaster in the TBD, and once recorded I ran the take in a DBA filter that I was controling manualy to add a second take.

"The Wrong Life"

The intro is actually the fx loop out of a Skreddy Echo. So you don't hear the original signal at all, only the delayed signal. Kinda like a Lo-fi loop junky you could play live.

Guitars : again, Quicksilver with chorus, and tons of Masterverb. The fuzzy stuffs are a DE pedal but I don't remember which.

Synths : a mix of my Dave Smith Evolver Keyboard for the mono things (like the bass line at the end) and the really realy cool CS-80v plugin from Arturia for the chords. Until I have enough cash for an Andromeda!

Please tell me what you think of the songs! :)

• Members

So guys for those of you who still haven't taken a listen of nico/atd's band I strongly recommend to go to their facebook's page and hear the two demos. Also there's a complete EP available for very little price.

It's not that I want to make promotion, but I think they deserve a little more attention, so I'm gonna make a lil review!

I'm not so good at categorize music, and don't know if it is more Post-rock or shoegaze, or alternative with some electronics; surely it is all these things and more!

First, for the little knowledge I have and only judging by my hears, I must say the tracks are really well recorded. There are some great guitar tones, with lot of tasty effects, but the guitar it's always functional to the songs, there's never a showcase of guitar effects. So the result are well mixed song with any of the instrument taking over the others. A special mention also to the drummer that is so {censored}ing powerful; in the first song (For What it's worth) it seems a machine gun, really!

BTW five songs, all pretty good. The voice kinda reminded me of Placebo, while the music is hard to categorize, as I stated. BTW in some songs, especially 3 (Failing to See) and 5 (Hotel Rooms) I've heard more electric influences that kinda reminded me of early Death in Vegas, with their cross over of rock and electronic, but with more attention to the melody.

In someway I've heard also some The Killers (Hot Fuss' period) influence in the 2 (Flawed is what We Are) and especially (The Wrong Life), that in my book is pretty good since Hot Fuss was amazing.

All in all 5 really good songs, never dull, and really good recorded.

The best IMO are the first and the last, kinda different but they pretty well summarize what I've hear of the band till now. The first has an energic beat thanks especially to the powerful drum, while the melody is kinda quiet during the verse, and opens up wonderfully in the chorus; also there's a really nice solo at the end (whammy?).

The last, has a certain Cure'vibe, but less melanchonic and with a little more bite.

Sorry if I dwell on so long, but I really liked what I've heard, also I've always wanted to be a music critic so I took my chance:lol:

• Members

On the two songs that are on the fb page right now, here is what is used.

Bass : Straight in an Universal Audio LA-610 then treated with the Ampeg SVX plugin. The flanger on "For What It's Worth" is an old yellow Ibanez Swell Flanger

Dums : my drummer does studio takes that trigger stuffs. You don't hear much of the actual recorded drum sound, aside from the ambience mics.

Guitar takes :

"For What It's Worth"

Fuzz (Intro Octaves and Chorus) : Devi Ever Truly Beautiful Disaster into my former Pod XT Ampeg SVT simulation. Oscillating fuzz + bass amp is a cool combo!

Shoegazy stuff on the Chorus and Intro : a Treble Booster, Oohlala Quicksilver with some chorusy warble and tons of plugin reverb (Waves Masterverb). During the Chorus and solo there's also lot of Fernandes Sustainer takes buried in the mix.

Solo : B:assmaster in the TBD, and once recorded I ran the take in a DBA filter that I was controling manualy to add a second take.

"The Wrong Life"

The intro is actually the fx loop out of a Skreddy Echo. So you don't hear the original signal at all, only the delayed signal. Kinda like a Lo-fi loop junky you could play live.

Guitars : again, Quicksilver with chorus, and tons of Masterverb. The fuzzy stuffs are a DE pedal but I don't remember which.

Synths : a mix of my Dave Smith Evolver Keyboard for the mono things (like the bass line at the end) and the really realy cool CS-80v plugin from Arturia for the chords. Until I have enough cash for an Andromeda!

Please tell me what you think of the songs!
:)

Really cool! Is that Hepburn on your pedal?

• Members

On another subject : I have both a Skreddy Echo (in my home studio) and a Blackbox/Oohlala Quicksilver (on my board) and to me the two sound exactly as good.

The trimpots in the Skrecho make it more tunable in a studio context, and the two selectable delay times in the QS make it a great live tool. I don't understand why the QS is so underrated (but you can find it used for 50% of the price of a Skrecho which is a good thing :) )

Archived